Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless Roaming issue WLC 5508

Mohammad Tbaili
Level 1
Level 1

Hi ,

In our wireless infrastructure we are facing some issues in roaming between the floors when the SSID is using 802.11a/g only but things will be fine if we are using 802.11g only . Our controllers are 5508 with version 7.4.100.60 , we have two anchor controllers and two foreign ones and access points are distributed between the foriegn controllers . Please can anybody help tell me why we are facing issue in 802.11a/g ?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Good to see it is working for you now..

What you had previously (distributing closeby AP to different controller) is not a good design. It will always cause problems when roaming.

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

How does your APs distributed among these controllers ? Ideally given building APs should be registered to a paritcular controller &  in this way roaming can be controlled to a single controller (intra-controller roaming). This is the recommended design.

You have to narrow-down under what condition these problem occurs. To find out exactly why this roaming issue occur, you have to get some debug output. If you can re-produce the error with a particular client device, then get the "debug client " output of the WLC.

HTH

Rasika

**** pls rate all useful responses ****

Hi ,

Actually the APs are distributed between the two controllers so we have 4 APs per floor . Each two APs in a controller so what i did yesterday is that i put all the APs in one controller and roaming after that is working fine with the a/g radio .

Good to see it is working for you now..

What you had previously (distributing closeby AP to different controller) is not a good design. It will always cause problems when roaming.

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You do need to provide more info. Also, I typically would use radio policy all and then see if that's still an issue. You must have adequate signal coverage on both the 2.4ghz and 5ghz. Was a site survey done at all on your building.

Also post your show WLAN

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Abhishek Abhishek
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The infrastructure has worked as you have changed the deplyment mode from the distributed AP to the controller.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card