Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Wireless security options with Windows 7

Hi All

We currently have solme older Cisco AP's running at 54mb. These have worked very well up until now and the only real issue I currently have is that only IT knows the passwords for the wireless network. We have always created the connection on each laptop when it is built, the user never needed to know it. With Windows 7 the user can simply tick a box and see the password

So now its time to change our equipment, I would probably go for lightweight AP's with a central controller just to simplify things.

Could anybody recommend a new authentication system for us that would get around the Windows 7 security flaw?

Ideally something that I can either install manually on each laptop and the user can't see it , or something I can push out via windows GPO?

It seems the ideal opporunity to get faster AP's and increase security at the same time. Devices would only be Windows 7 Laptops at this point, any mobiles, tablets would use the seperate guest wireless network.

Any adivce, suggestions etc gratefully received.

• Getting Started with Wireless
1 REPLY

Re: Wireless security options with Windows 7

I would go with PEAP. It uses the users credentials, so no PSK. You can push it via a GPO and allow only domain machines on that WLAN.

Steve

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

HTH, Steve ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered
Views
Helpful
Replies