Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless signals fluctuating

Hello All,

I have read a few posts on the similar topic but have not been able to find out exact cause of signal fluctuations in my network, this is the reason I want to seek help of you all in solving this issue. Here is what the problem looks like:

For multiple users, signal strength will first fluctuate from full to one or two lines sometimes and then will disconnect and connect again. If I check the activities for that user in WCS, I see that user was never disconnected. Its a remote location and I can not check the signals myself but one thing is for sure, the signal strength does go down. I can say that confidently because in WCS i see throughput going to almost zero sometimes and client loosing connection. But this is not always the case.

We have standard congiguration in all our offices and s/w ver on WLC is: 7.2.110.0 and APs are 1142N series.

Thanks for the help,

Pulkit

3 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Re: Wireless signals fluctuating

Unfortunately, you 1140 doesn't support CleanAir so you wouldn't know if there are any co-channel interferrence around.

Next, you cannot independently verify the signal quality or the signal strength at the site.

Both cases, you need to go to the site and do a survey and check for anything wrong.

Make sure TPC and DCA are both enabled and in auto.

Re: Wireless signals fluctuating

Hello Leo,

Thanks for replying. Yes both TCP and DCA are enabled and are in auto mode.

I can plan a site visit but I want to be fully prepared before I do that. Can you please suggest which tools I need for site survey (have not done that before)?

Thanks,

Pulkit

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Wireless signals fluctuating

You need a laptop with 802.11a/b/g/n support and you'll need a wireless sniffer, like inSSIDer.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content