Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless signals fluctuating

pnagpal
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

I have read a few posts on the similar topic but have not been able to find out exact cause of signal fluctuations in my network, this is the reason I want to seek help of you all in solving this issue. Here is what the problem looks like:

For multiple users, signal strength will first fluctuate from full to one or two lines sometimes and then will disconnect and connect again. If I check the activities for that user in WCS, I see that user was never disconnected. Its a remote location and I can not check the signals myself but one thing is for sure, the signal strength does go down. I can say that confidently because in WCS i see throughput going to almost zero sometimes and client loosing connection. But this is not always the case.

We have standard congiguration in all our offices and s/w ver on WLC is: 7.2.110.0 and APs are 1142N series.

Thanks for the help,

Pulkit

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Unfortunately, you 1140 doesn't support CleanAir so you wouldn't know if there are any co-channel interferrence around.

Next, you cannot independently verify the signal quality or the signal strength at the site.

Both cases, you need to go to the site and do a survey and check for anything wrong.

Make sure TPC and DCA are both enabled and in auto.

Hello Leo,

Thanks for replying. Yes both TCP and DCA are enabled and are in auto mode.

I can plan a site visit but I want to be fully prepared before I do that. Can you please suggest which tools I need for site survey (have not done that before)?

Thanks,

Pulkit

You need a laptop with 802.11a/b/g/n support and you'll need a wireless sniffer, like inSSIDer.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card