Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

WIRELESS VLAN Public and Private

I have ap 1230 series AP's sitting on a vlan named 20 with ip address of 192.168.199.0 The ap's have 192.168.199.x assigned to them. What i want to do is supply a seprate internet connection different VLAN that will have DSL on it. I want to put that on a vlan I will call it vlan 100 for example purposes. the ip address scheme I will use is the 172.16.0.0.

I know I have to assign a SSID to this vlan. Also I will boradcast this ssid with no encryption since it will not interfere with the infrastructure. But if the AP has 192.168.199.201 assigned to it how will i make it work for vlan 100 ??? I am just a little puzzled.. please advise..

1 REPLY
Silver

Re: WIRELESS VLAN Public and Private

The short answer is that only one SSID can be broadcast in beacon frames,usually this would be the public access VLAN.

It seems a limitation of the 802.11 standard - first of all, it never talks about multiple SSID.It did mention that SSID is the identity of an ESS or IBSS, so, we can't send more than one SSID in a beacon from the same Access Point.

So for now you can only broadcast one SSID and you need to configureother SSIDs manually, either via ACU or, for non-Cisco wireless NIC you canconfigure the SSID in the utility provided in the operating system or by 3rd party ( if possible ) so it would be able to associate to a non-broadcast SSID as well.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content