Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Wireless with 1240AG APs "fails" after months....

Hi community.

It's my hope to find someone who has the time to share "best practise" infos with me to get my problem fixed.

We have four Cisco Aironet 1240AG APs in IOS mode in use for guest internet access. Clients and APs are in the same logical subnet so no L3 roaming. Each of them is working in a different channel, but all of them provide the same SSID. They are all physically connected as root APs (no repeater). Clients do roaming.

The last months everything was fine - the signal strength and the availability were almost "perfect". But something has changed and I don't know where and how to look for the problem. Two APs provide now a very bad signal strength even if I use my smartphone directly next to the antenna.

I guess we have a lot of guests using their own smartphones for mobile internet access and similar possible sources for interference.

Are there any debug commands that might help? Is there a way to find out if the roaming works as it should be? Any power commands for the antenna I should try? Is there a way to allow the APs to handle their power output without using a WLC?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Everyone's tags (4)
8 REPLIES

Re: Wireless with 1240AG APs "fails" after months....

I think my problem is, that all four APs are set to provide more signal strength as it should be. Maybe the four "cells" do have a lot of interferences.

If I do a survey with my smartphone while checking the channels strength - my smartphone stays connected to the AP where I started instead of switching to the nearest one.

So what is my chance to change that behaviour? Only by decreasing the antenna output? Or is there a way to force clients to do the roaming faster?

Thanks in advance. Regards.

Hall of Fame Super Gold

What firmware is your WLC running?

The APs are IOS based/autonomous - so no WLC in use. Is a WLC the only way to fix this?

Hall of Fame Super Gold

No.  It could mean you're running a buggy IOS.

it's 12.4(10b)JA? are there any known problems with roaming and that version?

Try to upgrade the IOS of APs

Hall of Fame Super Silver

My suggestion would be to just set the power and the channels. Makes sure in the 2.4ghz you set the channels to either 1,6,11. Don't use the least congested or any other option. The 5ghz has more options, but make sure your not using the uni-2 extended if that's an option. Set the power to 25mW if the AP's are close to each other, but you can play around with this.

Maybe post your show run-config of two of the AP's so we have reference.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Least congested channel picks a frequency at start up (least congested). It never chnage's  after that .. Always best to manually set ..

__________________________________________________________________________________________
"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin
__________________________________________________________________________________________
‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

__________________________________________________________________________________________ "Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin ___________________________________________________________
Views
Helpful
Replies