cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WiSM 1 Upgrade to WiSM2

mmiktus
Level 1
Level 1

My company has been contracted to upgrade the 2 WiSM1 modules on a 6509 for a customer.  The hardware isn't changing but the software is being upgraded to WiSM2.  The cutsomer has HUNDREDS of AP's and dozens of VLANs and subnets (large municipality and school district).

Cisco SE's have been pushing the customer to purchase the WCS 7 software (they've been managing these Controllers independantly) stating there is no mechanism to upgrade WiSM1 configs to WiSM2.  I am vaguely familiar with the cisco controllers but have little WiSM experience. So i feel like i'm working without a net here.

So,

1) has anyone figured out a way to migrate from 1 to 2 without the WCS and without having to reinvent the wheel?

2)  How does the WCS make this transition easier?  What does it do to the WiSM1 configs to make them WiSM2 compatable? 

3)  Has anyone gone through this process and lived to tell about it?

Thanks in advance

21 Replies 21

Fair points Lei. You prove that you can be smart and pretty!  Lol

Why did you appear.  I didn't summon you.  LOL.

Thanks Steve. 

mmiktus
Level 1
Level 1

All,

I wholly agree the WiSM should be replaced; and if it were mu call it would have gone that way. Sales moved ahead without ever consulting in-house engineering, consulted briefly with Cisco, and settled on software only. Consequently we're stuck with this half-a$$ed solution.

Moving forward i'll take what i've learned here and push the hardware issue.

I truly thank you all.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

mmiktus
Level 1
Level 1

One final thought:

The upgrade went flawlessly and was quite easy. I would have liked to get them on newer hardware but that's being saved for another buget conversation.

Thanks again for the help and insight.

Dear Team,

I want to present a Migration and Up gradation Plan to the customer in documented format

I am planning to upgrade from existing WISM,WCS,LMS to the WISM2 License and Prime NCS, below is the detail

WISMs

1 x 6504 with 3 x WiSM WS-SVC-WISM-1-K9 (logically 6 x WLC), which means total 9,00 AP support

What i proposed

L-LIC-WISM2-UPG (1 x L-LIC-WISM2-100A, 3 x L-LIC-WISM2-200A ) which mean 1600 AP support , No change in WS-SVC-WISM-1-K9

Need to know if there is also upgradation in IOS of 6500 currently is

"disk0:s72033-advipservicesk9_wan-mz.122-18.SXF5.bin"

Up gradation Plan

Can someone help me on this for example what should be the procedure by keeping in mind

•      Backup
  •      Step by Step upgrade
  •      In case of failure restore
  •      Can i have any advice for the procedure or best practices ?

Cisco Prime NCS

Appliance and 1.2 version is quoted that includes

•      1600 WCS migration license to NCS (R-W-PI12-M-K9)
  •      1500 LMS 2/3 major upgrade to NCS (R-PI12-UP-K9)
  •      Can i have any advice for the procedure or best practices ?

Cisco ISE

Total 6 x ISE, Plan is below

•        First one will be Active for both ADMIN/MONITORING/Policy Service Node
  •        Second one will be Backup for both ADMIN/MONITORING and Active for Policy Service Node
  •        Remaining four will Active for Policy Service Node

Regards

Hey Asif,

What's up?  I've already responded to your thread

Hey,

Would you please advice me any link

1. LMS v2/3 migration to Prime NCS
  2. WCS 7.0 migration to Prime NCS
  3. L-LIC-WISM2-UPG on WS-SVC-WISM-1-K9 along with 6500 IOS compability

Warm Regards

asif.naveed wrote:

Hey,

Would you please advice me any link

1. LMS v2/3 migration to Prime NCS
  2. WCS 7.0 migration to Prime NCS
  3. L-LIC-WISM2-UPG on WS-SVC-WISM-1-K9 along with 6500 IOS compability

Warm Regards

Asif,

I am NOT going to respond on this thread.  I will respond this question (if you post it) in your original thread. 

This will minimize confusion to everyone (including you) who reads this. 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card