Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

WiSM Redundancy in Campus Network L3 Access

Hi guys,

I'm designing a Campus network L3 Access in a Building with 30 floors and aproximately 250 APs,8 APs in each floor.

For each floor I will use two /24 subnet (one for data and one for voice). I have 2 WiSM...

I don't wanna to use another two /24 subnet for each floor only for redundancy, so I want to know

if i can use the following idea (Please take a look in the PPT File)

I will create a AP Group in each controller to include the APs for each 2 floors (for example floor 1 and 2).

The only diference between those AP Group in each controller is the network subnet associated with the Dynamic

Interface. The AP Group in controller WiSM1-A will be associated with the 192.168.1.0 network and the AP Group

in controller WiSM2-A will be associated with the 192.168.2.0 network.

The APs in the first floor I will configure to use the controller WiSM1-A as primary and I expect to see the hosts with the 192.168.1.0/24 network.

The APs in the second floor I will configure to use the controller WiSM2-A as primary and I expect to see he hosts with the 192.168.2.0/24 network.

If one of those controllers fail (for example WiSM1-A), I think all the APs will use the another controller and I expect to see the hosts with the 192.168.2.0. In this case I know that network 192.168.2.0 is used for both the two floors, not more just one floor. I accept that half the users can use the wireless network during the fail..

Is this works and if yes, can I use this idea with Mobility Group, Roaming L3, etc ????

Thanks in Advanced,

Andre Lomonaco

4 REPLIES

Re: WiSM Redundancy in Campus Network L3 Access

Specific to AP group (thinking out loud) If you configure the SAME AP groups in both contollers and when you configure the AP to either AP group. When the AP joins the back up controller i would think it would retain the AP group.

All considering of course if you config the dynamic interfaces.

Bummer i just blew away my test controller that i was ding an AP group lab on ... I could have tested it for you ...

__________________________________________________________________________________________ "Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin ___________________________________________________________

btw... if you go to www.my80211.com (under cisco labs) I did a video on AP group ... you may find it of some interest ..

__________________________________________________________________________________________ "Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin ___________________________________________________________
Silver

Why not set it up this way?

Floor 1 APs in AP group "FL1", Floor 2 APs in AP group "FL2"

WiAM1-A: group FL1 primary, mapped to 192.168.1; group FL2 secondary, mapped to 192.168.2

WiSM1-B: group FL1 secondary, mapped to 192.168.1; group FL2 primary, mapped to 192.168.2.

This lets you fail over without losing any capacity or functionality.

Hi gamccall,

First thanks for your reply...

I like you idea but initially I can't use it cause I put each wism in a ospf tottaly stub area and I use area summarization to have less networks in the core routers....

In my designing, the wism1 is in the

range 10.0.0.0 -> 10.0.95.0 and the

wism2 is in the range 10.0.96.0 ->

My Best Regards,

Andre Lomonaco

Views
Helpful
Replies