Views
Helpful
Replies

wism2 upgrade

andrewswanson
Level 7
Level 7

hello

i'm planning to replace a wism1 with a wism2. i've had a look at the deployment guide:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps2706/products_tech_note09186a0080b7c904.shtml

it states as a feature for wism2 - "Interoperability with other service modules and WiSM1". can anyone confirm that this means i can have a wism1 and a wism2 in the same 6500 chassis at the same time?

also, the current 6500 chassis has some modules (WS-X6408A-GBIC) that aren't listed  as "tested and compatible". has anyone experienced problems with these modules and a wism2 in the same chassis? the WS-X6408A-GBIC modules are due for replacement very soon but i was hoping to get the wism2 installed first.

thanks
andy

5 Replies 5

BRYN JONES
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Andy

Reassurance for you: We recently installed a WiSM 2 into a 6509 chassis, where we house some of our WiSM1 and everything is fine.

Can't comment on your module question unortunately.

regards

thanks - installed the wism2 a few weeks back and removed the WS-X6408A-GBIC modules at the same time - no problems

machtj
Level 1
Level 1

Andrew,

So to confirm you were able to have the wism1 and the wism2 in the same chassis at the same time? Was it OIR (online insertion \ removal) ... no downtime putting it in there? Planning on updating mine soon as well... did you run into any gotchas?

Thanks for any input

hello - i had no issues installing the wism2 in the same chassis as wism 1. i upgraded the ios (redundant sup720s) and took out the old gbic modules. wism2 installed no problem.

hth

andy

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
it states as a feature for wism2 - "Interoperability with other service modules and WiSM1". can anyone confirm that this means i can have a wism1 and a wism2 in the same 6500 chassis at the same time?

WiSM-1 and WiSM-2 will work together as long as the chassis has the correct IOS to get the WiSM-2 operational.  I believe that would be SXJ version IOS.

also, the current 6500 chassis has some modules (WS-X6408A-GBIC) that aren't listed  as "tested and compatible".

The reason is because this line card has got nothing to do with WiSM-1 or WiSM-2.  The only thing in common is that all three line cards can be "housed" in the same chassis.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: