Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

with HREAP, need a router be at the remote edge of the WAN line to contact the WLC at the central data center?

we have a wlc in our data center.

we'd like to have a few 1131 ap's at a remote branch operate via the wlc.

in the HREAP docs i've seen, a router is indicated in the diagrams on both sides of the WAN.

our end-point equipment on both sides of the WAN is configured in bridge mode by our telcom carrier.

our remote branch is horizontal  w/ only 1 vlan, so we see no reason for a router.

is the router indicated in the HREAP docs mandatory, or just suggested?

tnx

ams

Everyone's tags (3)
3 REPLIES

Re: with HREAP, need a router be at the remote edge of the WAN l

I´m supposed is suggested, the Ap´s can work in a Layer 2 deployment but I not sure be the best way. With a L3 device you can avoid that unnecesary traffic generated by your APs flood through you L2 link between sites. I think this is one of the reasons to use a remote router, also seems the typical deployment.

Best regards.

It is not necessary if the remote network is in the same ip space on a layer 2 connection. Raul's comment is valid for any WAN connection. Layer 2 broadcast traffic can unnecessarily cross the WAN link and consume bandwidth. However, adding the AP at the remote site will not increase this traffic more than you have now. 

Cisco Employee

I support this last answer. The fact to have a router or not is your decision but HREAP doesn't care at all. As long as the APs can have connectivity to the WLC, that's all that matters !

HTH,

Nicolas

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content