Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

WLAN Basic Questions

Hello Guys -

I have a cisco 871w router which i want to use with my existing WLAN AP (A Linksys AP). I know Cisco routers works in AP mode but not sure if they can work in WLAN client mode and join another AP as well ?

Second questions: Is there any configuration guide which explains the cisco WLAN architecture , i get confused in between Radio interface and other configurations - like what is the purpose of each interface and what is the configurations flow.

thanks for all your help.

9 REPLIES

Re: WLAN Basic Questions

I havent touched a 871 in a bit, but the terminology, having a AP attach to another AP, if you will is call a workgroup bridge. Here is a good link that talks about WGB. Although i dont think the linksys and the 871 will work together in WGB mode... they may...

What are you trying to do expand coverage? if so put the same security and ssid on both and you should be ok ...

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps441/products_qanda_item09186a0080094644.shtml#q1

Specific to your second question, i would recommend reviewing the config guide. That would be a good area to start with ...

__________________________________________________________________________________________ "Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin ___________________________________________________________

It is conceivable that you could use a 871 in WGB mode to connect to the linksys as a client but why would you want to. The linksys will probably be very unstable as its processor will not be able to handle the increased traffic load. I tried this at home once and it was a nightmare. I even tried to use a Ruckus Metroplex repeater with no success.

Hello Dennis,

Thanks very much for the idea - actually its a weird requirement as lying a cable is not an option and 871w has to join a wifi AP. I would really appreciate if you can share configurations or any URL where i can read more about WGB mode.

also - i read somewhere that its not possible to WGB can be done between Linksys & Cisco.

thanks again.

What is the distance and are the locations in separate buildings? I would suggest a pair of 1310 bridges to achieve this.

Buying that is an issue - as the deployment is in PK - scarce fund - unavailability :) i did think of that before actually. thanks.

PK?

Pakistan :) - from your message i got the impression that we can do WBG with Linksys without any repeater or something.

WGB has a limitation of only 20 clients behind it. If your requirement is for more clients you should go for a bridge kind of solution

I actually figured out that with my router i have no option to configure it like that. It can only be in standard mode and can't act as WGB.

Views
Helpful
Replies