Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

WLAN Clients in Different Subnet

Hi all,

I have been using the present setup with WLC2106 and 2 LAPs.  So far the management and ap-manager interface where on the same subnet (192.168.0.x).  I was using a static IP address for the wireless clients, also on the 192.168.0.x.  So far so good and everything was up and running.  Now I wanted to the wireless clients to get an IP address from the DHCP server on the 192.168.0.x subnet.  The IP addresses leased will be on a different network - 192.168.7.x.  I tried changing the ap-manager to and IP address on the .7.x network and set DHCP server on both interfaces.  However, I cannot the clients are not being associated, and when I try and give an IP addresses statically on the .7.x network, I cannot ping anything from the clients.  Routing is not the problem as I have confirmed that this is working ok.

Should I change the management interface (as the WLAN is associated with this interface, and I cannot choose the ap-manager)?  Or should I use a dynamic interface?

Thanks,

Tiziana

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cisco Employee

Re: WLAN Clients in Different Subnet

Hi Tiziana,

In order to drop clients onto a different subnet/VLAN other than on your AP-Manager and Management interfaces, you'll need to deploy a new dynamic interface on the WLC.  Also be sure the trunk over the new vlan to the WLC.  Here's a great guide that explains how to accomplish this one.

VLANs on Wireless LAN Controllers Configuration Example
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a00805e7a24.shtml

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Drew

3 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Hi Tiziana,

In order to drop clients onto a different subnet/VLAN other than on your AP-Manager and Management interfaces, you'll need to deploy a new dynamic interface on the WLC.  Also be sure the trunk over the new vlan to the WLC.  Here's a great guide that explains how to accomplish this one.

VLANs on Wireless LAN Controllers Configuration Example
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a00805e7a24.shtml

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Drew

Community Member

Thanks for the explanation Andrew. It worked

Cisco Employee

You're very welcome, Tiziana.  Take care!

- Drew

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content