Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

WLAN Controller 2112 and LWAPP 1130ag(s)

I currently have a strange situation with a WLC 2112 and LWAPP APs. I have a basic hub and spoke network with 2 GB trunks via fiber to remote switches from a 3750G. The remote switches are a 2960 and a 2948G-GE-TX.

I have 4 of the 1130ag APs plugged into the 3750G which is where the 2112 is connected. The WLC sees them and configures the APs just fine. When I plug one of the APs (with a Cisco power injector) into a remote switch (2960 or 2948) The APs report to the controller but shuts down the radio with an error in the event log stating LOW-INLINE-POWER.

I know most would think your PoE isn't cutting it, but in a lab environment we tried the failing ones with the exact same APs reporting this problem and it worked as long as they were plugged into the same switch as the WLC 2112. As soon as we plugged them into a switch that was trunked we got the same error.

It's almost like the trunks are not passing the LWAPP info or something even though they show up in the WLCs AP list.

Any ideas? Anyone seen this?

Thanks,

Ed

3 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Red

Re: WLAN Controller 2112 and LWAPP 1130ag(s)

Hi Ed,

The required settings are described in the attached docs;

The 1131 requires either IEEE 802.3af power or needs a setting on the WLC for using power injector or Cisco Pre-Standard PoE. Our older switches could only provide Cisco Pre-Standard PoE so we had to tweak the WLC Power setting for these AP's. Once we did that the Radios came right up. Here is a reference;

You may have to enter the following info in the WLC;

While the AP boots, with its Intelligent Power Management feature, it negotiates with the switch via Cisco Discovery Protocol messages in order to provide the necessary power to the AP. Even though the power injector is connected to the AP, the AP that uses this Intelligent Power Management feature gives priority to the Cisco Discovery Protocol information in order to identify whether or not the switch can provide the power. Therefore, after the Cisco Discovery Protocol message shows that the switch does not provide sufficient power (since it is not an inline power capable switch), the AP disables its radios. At this time, the status LED of the AP turns orange and this error message is recorded:

[ERROR] : AP has not enough in-line power

to enable radio slot 1 In order to overcome this problem, issue the

config ap power injector enable installed

command on the controller that is connected with this AP. This command is available from controller version 3.2.116.21. Ensure that you use the correct version in the controller.

This command specifies that a power injector is used in order to supply sufficient power to the AP.

From this doc;

Cisco Aironet and WLAN Controller Product Power Options

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps430/products_tech_note09186a00800946e7.shtml

Here is the method used via WLC GUI;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/4.0/configuration/guide/c40lwap.html#wp1134787

Hope this helps!

Rob

Rob!!! You're a life saver man! Your info took care of it and the APs came online.... Thank you sooo much!

Cheers,

Ed

Hall of Fame Super Red

Hi Ed,

You are most welcome my friend! Glad to be of some small help here.

Cheers!

Rob

Views
Helpful
Replies