Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

WLAN Controller module and LAP connection

Hi,

I'm new to setting up WLC and LAP. My question is, do the WLC and LAP require a wired connection between them? Can't they be set up with wireless connection?

Thanks!

3 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: WLAN Controller module and LAP connection

Hi,

The Wireless runs on top of Wired network.. so to get the wireless network up and running, the wired network should be up.

Now regardyour question..

WLC will be connected to the switch or the router.... the LAP will get connected to the switch or the router..

So the WLC and the LAP are connected indirectly to wired... however the wirless comes into picture when we have a client to connect.. instead of holding a LAN cable plugged into the laptop we can move around using wireless.

I request you to let me know if the above answered your question.

Regards

Surendra

Thanks for your reply, actually I have the WLC as a module inside a mobile router. I want the WLC module to detect and join with the LAP whenever it is in the vicinity of the LAP. How do you think I should go about this?

Cisco Employee

configure the DHCP pool on the router or the DHCP option 43 for the APs to get the ip address... when we have the backend connectivity configured correctly, meaning if the AP and the WLC are reachable.. then the AP will joing the WLC.. and also.. not only the vicinity APs, even far located APs can also join if we have the connectivity..

Regards

Surendra

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content