Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

WLAN deployment across 3 floors without cable

I have a customer looking to install a wireless network across 3 floors with full coverage on each floor. 2 ssid's are needed one for guest use and one for their business use. The top floor is where the server and demarc is located. The top floor is very small in relative size to the lower 2 floors.

It is a very old historic building and they refuse to run cable (drilling of holes...)

They will need bandwidth to support 12 pos systems (varied throughout the building) running off of the server (terminal services). They will also need enough bandwidth for the guest ssid (internet use).

Installing a lot of ap's as repeaters will reduce the available bandwidth. What options are available?

2 REPLIES
Green

Re: WLAN deployment across 3 floors without cable

Keep in mind, you'll need a solid site survey to back up any recommendations made.

That being said, probably your best would be a dual radio AP, where the 802.11g/b radio is for client use, and the 802.11a radio would act as a wireless backbone.

If you use a 1200 series, you'd want one AP (per floor) located in / near the stairway and/or elevator such that you can use it as a "raceway" for the 802.11a signal.

Depending on the size and layout of the floor (wide open, partitioned, trees/flowers/hanging decorations), you can perhaps cover the area with ~2-3 APs (each set for a different 802.11g channel: 1, 6, or 11 preferred).

You should stagger the AP channel assignments per floor such that the AP directly above or below is using a different channel.

This is greatly simplified. More details would be helpful (like the square footage of the each floor, and the general layout, are there going to be any mobile clients, or all fixed location POS stations?).

and, again, you must do a good site survey to find out how many APS would be needed. If you need more than three per floor, then it would probably be better to use the 802.11a radio for clients and the 802.11g radios for the "backbone" .... 802.11a has more channels, and none of them overlap.

Good Luck

Scott

Re: WLAN deployment across 3 floors without cable

Thank you for your quick reply.

After speaking with some of the other members of management at the organization they will allow me to run a limited amount of cable as long as it is very neat (not a problem).

I realize that multiple ap's in a wireless only network would reduce bandwidth considerably.

I am thinking I will need 3 ap's per floor for good coverage.

My question is will I be better to cable 1 ap per floor or cable all of them? Can I have one root ap per floor? Or do I need to cable all of the ap's?

The main objective now is to get 802.11g bandwitdth throughout the organization. They have one user with a laptop that will be roaming.

Views
Helpful
Replies