cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLAN ID's

Islam Sallaj
Level 1
Level 1

Do wlan id's need to be same number accross all your WLCs on your network?  If so is there a way to change them?

thanks in advance

izzy

12 Replies 12

blakekrone
Level 4
Level 4

Yes they should be the same across all WLCs to ensure proper AP failover without configuration reloads. Unfortunately you cant change them once you've set them. You have to delete the WLAN and recreate.

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Its recommended ... But not needed. If you get fancy with 16 ssids and ap groups you might run into some issues ... Although i think with 7+ you are ok ...

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It's good practice to have them especially if your doing h-reap and sometimes with ap groups. You would have to remove and add them back on.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

LOL we all fired off at the same minute !  +5 for your guys lol!

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Thanks everyone,

I have tried to remove them an add them multiple times and to no avail they are still rendomly assigned.  Mind you I am using NCS and pushing my wlans via templates to this said wlc.

When I built the wlc my orginal wlan to get it onto the nextwork was XXX just something to get an IP on the box so i can use NCS to push all my templates...this way I have uniformity across my WLC's.

Have said that i deleted that orginal wlan...now everytime i push my templates it skips #1...

any thoughts...

izzy

Go on the WLC not NCS, since your WLAN IDs are different already.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott

i'm not really sure what you mean...sorry

I do not want to individually configure my wlans...I want NCS to do template pushes we have complicated wlan settings and we can't afford mistakes.

thanks

izzy

Well since you have different WLAN IDs it makes it hard to delete and add the WLAN in an order you want it to. You would need to delete every single WLAN and then try to add one by one, but if it doesn't work using NCS templates, then you need to manually add them from each wlc.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott

well if that's the case that's a HUGE limitation in NCS...wasn't it supported to be better then WCS...frustrated!

Maybe I'll talk to tac

thanks for you help.

izzy

Remove WLANs from NCS. Create the WLAN on 1 WLC. Then sync the config up to the NCS platform. Then remove the WLAN from all remaining WLCs and add the WLAN from NCS to the WLC. This should make the IDs match.

I don't think it's was supported either in WCS. It's works when the wlan's all have the same WLAN IDs, but in your case it's not. You might try to remove all the wlan's and then refresh config from controllers then try to add them in order.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott

Figured it out guys thanks...reseason why it would revert back to the orginal numbers after deleting them was because on NCS the ID's were defind in the controller ON NCS...I was just looking at the templates.  Once I deleted the WLANs from the controller on NCS everything matched up.

thanks again everyone...

happy with NCS again

izzy

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card