cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Community Member

WLAN notebook switch between AP#1 and AP#2

Hi all,

We installed 2 x Cisco 1010 AP and both of them are in the same vlan. Access_Point#1 is near (signal strength is excellent) and Access_Point#2 is far away (signal strength is fair). After my notebook associated and authenticated to the Access_Point#1, I can access the network through the Wireless LAN. However, I found that the notebook will automatically switch to the Access_Point#2 after 20-30 minutes and the response is much slower. After around 20-30 minutes, it will switch back to the Access_Point#1. Does any know how come it switch from Access_Point#1 and #2 and how to stop it?

Here is my information:

- Cisco 2200 WLC

- Cisco 1010 Access Point

- Authentication: PEAP

- Wireless Notebook: IBM X32

Regards,

Murphy

3 REPLIES
Green

Re: WLAN notebook switch between AP#1 and AP#2

Verify that you are using the most current drivers.

If not, update them.

This is an Intel NIC/chipset, right?

Do a search on Intel and I think you'll get a number of other posts related to this topic.

Good Luck

Scott

Community Member

Intel chip wireless adapters has a lot of problem right now. The last time I open a TAC case for it, they said that intel is working on fixing all the bugs and will use one kind of supplicant. That would be really nice if they do that.

Community Member

Hi Roberto & Scott,

Thanks of your response. I had already upgraded the Intel driver but the problem is still exist. However, I found that the problem may be related to the re-authentication. In the WLC, when I set the session timeout to 300sec (default is 1800s), it roamed to another AP in 300s. When I set it to 60s, it roamed in 60s. So, I think the roaming is due to the session is timeout and the AP disconnected my notebook and it force it to re-authenticate. I think it is not a good idea if I set the session timeout to zero. Do you have any idea about it? Thanks.

Murphy

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content