Views
Helpful
Replies

WLAN Problem 857W

jasonlilburn
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am having trouble setting up windows workgroup over the wireless connection.

All computers over the wireless connection can see each other but can't ping or access shared folder (network path not found)

however the wirless connected pc's can do so if they are connected via ethernet,

ie wireless pc can access ethernet pc but wirless pc's can't access other wireless pc's.

All firewalls are off, wireless pc's have been connected via ethernet and have worked in the workgroup flawlessly.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Jason Lilburn

I have attached the router's config file

4 Replies 4

sbilgi
Level 5
Level 5

Check whether the problem is with all the PCs or only with specific clients. I meant, try pinging from PC 1 to all other PCs and verify in this manner.Then accordingly, perform the following.

In all the wireless PC's, while configuring the IP addres, also configure the default gateway. This default gateway should be the next hop router address. Check whether you have configured this. If not, do it. Also, ensure the router have route in its routing table to all the networks of these wireless clients. Probbly, this should solve your problem.

Hello sbiliqi,

Thanks for you suggestion.

I tried manually setting the default gateway, but to no avail.

All pc's can ping the pc connected via ethernet, but they can't ping each other.

Also the pc connected via ethernet can ping all the wirelessly connected pc's

I'm not sure that I understand about checking the routers's routing table. There is only one network.

I will investigate this.

Thanks again for your reply, much appreciated

Jason

ksannedhi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Jason,

I don't think there is any problem with your router. It seems like the problem is at the access level. More questions than answers to your problem:

1. Have you tried to ping a wireless PC from a wired PC? I know you tried to access a wired PC from a wireless PC. Try the other way around.

2. Are you using any software to connect wireless interface to the network? For example, Cisco Aironet Client Utility, Intel ProSet may be kicking in some firewall properties into the wireless interface.

Try to use Windows OS wireless client settings instead.

Hi ksannedhi,

Thank you for replying.

1. I just tried it and the ethernet connected pc can ping all the wirelessly connected pc's

2. I am using the windows OS wireless client.

I must admit I'm stumped at the moment. It makes no sense.

The strange thing is that before we installed the new router, everything was working fine.

Oh well, the beauty of networking.

Again, thank you very much for your reply!

Jason

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: