Views
Helpful
Replies

WLAN Setup over 2 different networks layer 3

john smith
Level 1
Level 1

hello friends,

i have a WLAN setup for two building and both have layer 3 OSPF connectivity to each other let's call Bldg1 & Bldg2

i  have wism installed in Bldg1 in cat6509 series distribution switch  while i Bldg2 is connected on Bldg1's Core switch via layer3 link

also i have configured all vlan data base on distribution switch in bldg1 for wireless.

but here is only vlans configured for bldg1's wireless network.

how i can use the same wism for bldg2's netwrok if i have wireless access point there too.

since both are in different subnets like (bldg1  10.135.0.0) and the (bldg2   10.134.0.0)

please advise me on this setup that how i can configure that on my controllers in bldg1 for bldg2 's wireless network.

many thanks in advance

12 Replies 12

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You wouldd need to setup the AP's in Bldg2 in H-REAP mode.  This mode means that the traffic will be put on locally in Bldg2 and not tunnel back to the WiSM.  Look at it like an autonomous AP:)  YOu will need to configure the h-reap siwtchport to a dot1q trunk and only allow the AP's management vlan and the wireless user vlans on the trunk.  When configured for h-reap, you will have another tab on the AP that allows you to specify the native vlan on the ap and the ssid to local vlan mapping.

Hope this helps

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a00807cc3b8.shtml

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10315/products_tech_note09186a0080736123.shtml

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

thanks for your repry scott fella

what if have in both buildings their separete saperate vlan data configured on their core switches

in that case how i can configure my setup since in aps in bldg2 has no wireless vlans?

many thanks in advance

You will have to define your wireless vlans just like you did in Bldg1.  Then when you change the ap mode from local to h-reap, you will get a new tab on the top when you click on the h-reap ap where you can set your ssid to vlan mapping.

-Scott

thanks for your reply scott fella

here i am attaching my network diagram may it could help to understand my network senario.

please advise me that how my LAPs from bldg2 can join my WISM in bldg1

what  configuration would be made on both disribution switches in both bldgs  in order to communicate my wireless vlan from wism to bldg2's LAPs??

any seggustion please?

many thanks in advance

Its layer3 between each building so what you need to define in Bldg2 is the vlans for your wireless.  For example, if you have your ap's in a dedicated vlan for management, then you would need to create that vlan out at bldg2.  This would be the same for your wireless users.  If you need a vlan for wireless data, wireless phones, etc. you would create that vlan in bldg2.  You can have up to 250 AP's... that is local mode ap's and h-reap ap's per WLC on the WiSM.

You can prep or stage the ap's first prior to installing them in bldg2.  Just have the AP's join the WisM locally in bldg1 and then go ahead and set them to h-reap.  Once the AP's have joined the WLC, then it will be able to find the WLC when connected in bldg2.  As long as your routing is working between the subnet the h-reap ap's are in and the managment interface of the WLC's.

If you have the AP's already installed in bldg2, then you will need to either do option 43, dns resolution or do a broadcast:

Here is a good video:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/videos/2649

Broadcast:

ip forward-protocol udp 12223

ip forward-protocol udp 5246

interface interface-name

ip helper-address wlc-management-ip-address

http://revolutionwifi.blogspot.com/2010/11/capwap-controller-discovery-process_23.html

Option 43:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a00808714fe.shtml

DNS

-Scott

thanks for your reply fella

what about if i have a point to point Layer 3 link for both bldgs and than as dynamic rout is ospf

1:where i will configure ip helper (WLC mgmt ip address) ?

since the port connect to bldg 2 from bldg1 is no switchport and there is ip over so shall i configure on this port ip helper too?

2: i will configure my controllers as how like configure 4vlans (staff,student,devices,and guest) for bldg2's LAPs than configure 4wlan as well and map to those vlans and security policies also enable H-REAP fetures on controllers

than on layer3 port in bldg1 what i ll do more configuration??

3: and other side in bldg2 on my layer3 links port what i will configure more??

4: than i will configure same of that 4vlans on core in bldg2 and also configure on access switch also as well but from which subnet i will assign them ip addresses from bldg1 or bldg2's subnets?

5:the access switch port that are connected to LAPs configured them as trunk ports and which vlan will be  native vlan here? is that controllers mgmt vlan as native? in that i need to configure controler mgmt vlan also here on core and access switch as well or no need?

6: i will configure dhcp option43 and DNS discovery in bldg1's dhcp n dns server.is that ok?

7:i will enable H-REAP features on LAPs too that will join the controllers. is that ok?

sorry i am asking bcuase i am still did not understand please advise me on this

many thanks in advanse

1:where i will configure ip helper (WLC mgmt ip address) ?

since the port connect to bldg 2 from bldg1 is no switchport and there is ip over so shall i configure on this port ip helper too?

The ip helper will be configured on bldg2's vlan interface where the ap's will be on.

2: i will configure my controllers as how like configure 4vlans (staff,student,devices,and guest) for bldg2's LAPs than configure 4wlan as well and map to those vlans and security policies also enable H-REAP fetures on controllers

than on layer3 port in bldg1 what i ll do more configuration??

You will define 4 vlans also at bldg2, you can keep the same vlan id if you want, but of course the vlans will be on a different subnet than in bldg1.  Just like your wired vlans.  H-REAP AP's wll have an option to specify what ssid will be on what vlan.

3: and other side in bldg2 on my layer3 links port what i will configure more??

The PTP link you will have bewteen building, you just configure it normally.  Wireless doesn't care as long as routing is working between the two.

4: than i will configure same of that 4vlans on core in bldg2 and also configure on access switch also as well but from which subnet i will assign them ip addresses from bldg1 or bldg2's subnets?

You will use bldg2 subnet, since the ap's will not tunnel traffic back to bldg1.  Traffic is dumped out at the switch connection in bldg2.

5:the access switch port that are connected to LAPs configured them as trunk ports and which vlan will be native vlan here?

Yes

is that controllers mgmt vlan as native?

Yes it should be

in that i need to configure controler mgmt vlan also here on core and access switch as well or no need?

You only need this in bldg1, bldg2 does not need this and you do no ned to bridge this vlan across.

6: i will configure dhcp option43 and DNS discovery in bldg1's dhcp n dns server.is that ok?

That is fine as long as bldg2 is using that dhcp and dns server

7:i will enable H-REAP features on LAPs too that will join the controllers. is that ok?

You only need to enable h-reap on the ap's that are on bldg2 not bldg1.

-Scott

thank you scott fella

actually i have some more confusions

i have 100 LAPs 1262N series and i will use them in bldg 2 while the i have 2 one wism card in my core switch in bldg1

so i need to know that how many laps can i have in H-REAP mode?

shall i configure the same WLANs that i will use there in bldg2 in wism's other controller for LAPs failover?

what is difference between Central Switching and Local Switching in H_REAP mode?

Central Switching fetures i will use for what ?

and Local Switching fetures i will use for what?

Central Switching is no different than "Local Mode" APs [not to be confused with "Local Switching"].  With "Central Switching" all client traffic is tunneled from the AP to the WLC and vice versa, so the client will egress from whatever dynamic interface you've defined on the WLC.  For H-REAP deployments, central switching is typically used for guest, or for any other wlans that have no need for resources local to the site of APs, where the clients traffic is ultimately going to travel through the WAN back to the core anyhow....

"Local Switching" for H-REAP is the act of egressing client traffic directly from the AP.  Think Autonomous AP here.

You specifiy in the configuration what vlan the client is to be put in, and the AP will dump client traffic into that vlan. Return traffic will come into the AP as well. Basically, no client data traffic should be sent through the WAN inside the capwap tunnel [no data traffic between AP and WLC].

so i need to know that how many laps can i have in H-REAP mode?

You can have as many as you want since you will not be using h-reap groups.  H-reap groups only allow 25 AP's per group.

shall i configure the same WLANs that i will use there in bldg2 in wism's other controller for LAPs failover?

Both WLC's should be configured the same in order to have seamless failover.  When an AP moves form one wlc to the other, that AP will use the setting that the new WLC has.  So if you don't have one of the ssid's in the second wlc, the AP will not use it.

Weterry has posted info on your other questions.

-Scott

thanks for your reply scott fella

as i got local switching means to connect with internal network i mean will have full access of the network like internet and server etc etc

but central switchig means will have only internet access but no acces to the internal servers

am i right here or wrong?

there is one more thing making for me confusion that

when i configure 3 ssids for bldg2 which is connected with bldg1 through layer 3 link

and use H-REAP fetures than if i broadcast them so shall i see that 3 ssids also in blgd1 or no ?

many thanks in advance

You have two options in h-reap. When an ap is in h-reap mode you either have h-reap local switching enabled or disabled on the WLAN SSID in the advanced tab. When disabled, the ap will tunnel traffic back to the wlc and whatever interface you have configured on the WLAN SSID, that is the interface users will be put on. If you have h-reap local switching enabled on the WLAN SSID advanced tab, then traffic gets put on locally where the ap is located. In this mode, you have I specify in the ap itself the SSID to vlan mapping. Also you have to enable vlan support and set your native vlan id. All SSIDs configured in the wlc will be broadcasted on all AP's. AP groups allow you to choose what APs can broadcast want SSID, but that's another story. The default group if you don't add an ap group will have all the AP's and have all the SSIDs enabled on all AP's.

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card