cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLAN SETUP

jsilas007
Level 1
Level 1

I'm in the process of setting up a WLAN in 300 unit apartment complex I'm looking for some good documentation on WLAN network componets.

Any any information to how I should go about designing this project.

Any information will be helpful.

Thanks,

6 Replies 6

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi John,

Here are some good docs to help get you started;

Cisco Unified Wireless Network Overview

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps430/prod_brochure09186a0080184925.html

Cisco Wireless LAN Security Overview

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps430/prod_brochure09186a00801f7d0b.html

Wireless Site Survey FAQ

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_q_and_a_item09186a00805e9a96.shtml

Wireless, LAN (WLAN) Introduction

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/tsd_technology_support_protocol_home.html

Cisco Aironet Hardware Frequently Asked Questions

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps430/products_qanda_item09186a0080094d01.shtml

Hope this helps!

Rob

Please remember to rate helpful posts.....

Thanks for the informaiton, I'll read the documentation.......

Thanks again.......

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

Start with a good site survey to determine your needs from the prospective of signal strength & quality, decide on how you are going to authenticate and authorize the users, decide where you'll need redundancy, and decide how you'll monitor & manage.

Since you posted here, you're looking at Cisco, and that's a good thing. They have a pretty good suite of hardware and software (as well as support and maintenance plans).

Chances are you'll end up with a "Lightweight" AP setup (LWAP), where all of the RF heads will connect back to a wireless controller.

LWAP makes it a bit easier to maintain and manage.

Now that you can get the "old" (formerly) stand-alone Aironet APs with LWAP firmware, you also get to keep some antenna options for special circumstances.

It would be helpful if you could provide some additional detail regarding the topology of the area you need to cover (high-rise / spread out, distances, construction materials, etc) ... no one here can give you a definite bill-of-materials (and if they do, ignore it) ... but given a certain layout, some recommendations are "cookie-cutter" easy.

To go back to the opening line; make no firm decisions until you have a solid, comprehensive site survey. If you haven't ever done one, then hire someone that has ... and has the equipment and track record to prove it.

Once you have defined the goals (SS, SQ, auth, auth, management, maintenance ... )then have the site survey to define the coverage needs, you can start selecting equipment and try to fit the budget.

Other tings frequently overlooked:

* Cabling cost (the APs have to connect to a wired infrastructure)

* Equipment physical security (this stuff should be behind locked doors

*Environmental conditioning (Air, power / UPS, space)

*Troubleshooting

*Maintenance (firmware updates, HW replacement)

* Redundancy / replacement / hot-swap

* Servers for things like RADIUS, ftp/tftp, drivers, consumer utilities, user management

* Other security (firewalls) & remote access

...and again, doing / getting an air-tight site survey will eliminate nearly all of the post-install problems related to coverage, throughput, and quality user experience.

Putting it together is easy .... connect a bunch of dots ... making it work well and stay reliable is the big trick.

As far as documentation goes, Cisco's main site has some prety good planning docs.

I'm sure Rob H will have some pretty good pointers too; watch for his posts and do what he says (edit: and, of course, he beat me to the post ... ;-})

Good Luck

Scott

Hi Scott,

Loved your post, you are always able to articulate things perfectly! I have learned a great deal from reading in these forums and your attitude has been an inspiration. You get 5 points for this great work (as usual)!! Thanks for the nice nod as well :)

Take care,

Rob

This information that you provided is "PRICELESS :-))), is there a site that I could go to and request to have someove do a site survey for me because I have never performed one before?

You might check with your local Cisco office to see if they have any local recommendations.

I believe TerraWave will work in most of the US, maybe more.

The business Yellow Pages, or comparable Internet directory might also have some possibilities.

I'll see what I can find and re-post if I can come up with something. Perhaps some of the other contributors have some recommendations as well.

Good Luck

Scott

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card