cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC 2000

J_Vansen_S
Level 3
Level 3

The setup i have consist of a 2000 Series Wireless Lan Controller, and 4x Aironet 1000 series. It is currently up and running, configured.

I would like to place one of my AP in a different network subnet & resume its working order. Is that possible? If so, how do i go about doing that?

PLz advice, i have limited knowledge in the WLC

5 Replies 5

Richard Atkin
Level 4
Level 4

Providing you are running "Layer3" LWAPP (as opposed to "Layer2" LWAPP) then simply configure the AP's Promary Controller (NAME, not IP Address) and re-locate it to the new subnet.

Patch the AP, provide it with a DHCP IP Address, and ensure the switchport is setup as an Access Port for the appropriate VLAN, and away you go!

Regards,

Richard

thank you for your input..

I am currently running Layer 3 LWAPP.

Sorry I did not describe this earlier. Actually my setup of the other subnet that i mentioned is actually over a VPN tunnel at my remote office.

Currently my remote office is able to ping the WLC dhcp server at HQ and its Mgmt IP.

I went thru cisco doc http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a00808714fe.shtml and found out that i need to configure dhcp option 43 in order for it to work. I tried that, it does not seem to detect my AP anyways

Plz advice

If the AP isn't even getting an IP Address, then that's a problem with your LAN / DHCP Server. Even if the options are wrong, it should still take the IP Address.

If you're getting an address, but the AP doesn't seem able to connect to the WLC, check that you've setup Options 43 & 60 correctly and then try again.

If you're getting a DHCP Lease and the AP contacts the WLC, but fails to provision its self, check the MTU between the AP & WLC. Hopefully its bigger than 500 bytes (the minimum threshold for LWAPP).

Also, has your AP been connected elsewhere before? It could be that it's remembered its settings from a previous installation? If so, reset the AP by holding the mode button down for 20 seconds, and then entering the command;

clear lwapp private-config

After which it should request DHCP (etc..) as normal. Failing that, you could configure the AP manually with the commands;

lwapp ap ip address

lwapp ap ip default

lwapp ap controller ip address

HTH,

Richard.

Hi Richard,

The AP is getting an ip address, yea but it doesnt seem able to connect to the WLC. The AP gets the local dhcp from the remote router as configured below with option 43,60

ip dhcp pool aironet

network 172.17.4.0 255.255.255.0

option 49 ascii "172.16.52.2"

default-router 172.17.4.1

dns-server 202.160.8.2 202.160.8.20

option 66 ascii "Airespace.AP1200"

i perform a debug lwapp on the WLC 2000, but did not see anything related to my AP.

The AP i am using is the Aironet 1030..it does not have a console port. Not able to debug from the AP

Plz advice

jkilleda
Level 3
Level 3

WLC 2000

There can be a possible problem with DHCP , you may require to resolve WLC DNS name.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: