Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

WLC 2125 - Lab setup

Good Afternoon,

I'm trying to setup a WLC lab here at work and I'm having a few issues. I'm trying to plug an AP directly into the WLC and I'm having issues with the AP getting an IP using the Internal DHCP server option.

Is this setup not going to work without a switch involved? Unfortunately, I don't have a switch available for use, but I'm trying to find anyway to setup this controller to have DHCP that can serve my AP an IP address to join the controller.

Any advice or help will be grateful. I can also provide my management and ap-manager information if needed. Also, I do have DHCP proxy enabled.

Matt Cooper

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

You have to use external IP

You have to use external IP address or use static IP address for the access points.
If the AP on same subnet of management interface it should then join normally because it can find the WLC via broadcast. If your AP subnet is different than the WLC management interface subnet, you need to find other means to get the AP to discover the WLC (ip-helper, dhcp option 43, dns, static ip config...etc).

Regards,

Amjad

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"
5 REPLIES

Hi.the internal DHCP server

Hi.

the internal DHCP server is for clients. it can provide IPs to clients that connect over wireless. It does not provide IPs to anything on the wired side. So, its not going to work with your situation.

If you can't set up a switch and configure it with a DHCP pool to serve the APs what you can do is to configure a static ip on the AP.

check here: http://goo.gl/tEOdAa

Note: in the commands in the above link, if the keyord "lwapp" didn't work with you you try using the keyword "capwap". (using of either keywords depends on your AP model).

Regards,

Amjad

I was able to get it to

I was able to get it to assign an IP address using the "management" interface, but once its assigned, it gets stuck at "Translating "CISCO-CAPWAP-CONTROLLER" and then it reboots and starts the process over again.

Any thoughts?

You have to use external IP

You have to use external IP address or use static IP address for the access points.
If the AP on same subnet of management interface it should then join normally because it can find the WLC via broadcast. If your AP subnet is different than the WLC management interface subnet, you need to find other means to get the AP to discover the WLC (ip-helper, dhcp option 43, dns, static ip config...etc).

Regards,

Amjad

Try giving it a static IP

Try giving it a static IP address in the same range as the controller.

Console to the AP and input the controllers IP manually

#lwapp ap controller ip address 10.10.10.1

You can use management

You can use management interface to assign the IP address but make sure to use external IP address.

Views
Helpful
Replies