Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Community Member

WLC 2500 series and L2 deployment

Hello all!

I have a simple question.
Is there a deployment scenario where WLC 2500 series controller is connected to L2 switch? I read the manuals and deployment scenarios, they all state mgmt port of WLC (AP mgmt) needs to go to trunk port of L3 switch. But digging trough internet I came across on some hints that this might work, like this discussion, jryanearl mentioned that he connected his APs to L2 switch?

I have flat network, only one subnet, and there is no need for VLANs or routers so to reduce costs I'm trying this kind of scenario.

WLC and AP1600 series would go in L2 switches.

Do I have to worry about multicast?

Thank you in advance and kind regards,

Lovro

Everyone's tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Blue

Layer 2 will work:  Your WLC

Layer 2 will work:  Your WLC Management IP address and the management IP address of the APs are in the same subnet and VLAN.  

For the sake of simplicity (and if your switch is capable of doing so), I'd recommend you connect the ports to the WLC in a Dot1Q trunk.

4 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Blue

Layer 2 will work:  Your WLC

Layer 2 will work:  Your WLC Management IP address and the management IP address of the APs are in the same subnet and VLAN.  

For the sake of simplicity (and if your switch is capable of doing so), I'd recommend you connect the ports to the WLC in a Dot1Q trunk.

Community Member

Hi Leo,thank you for your

Hi Leo,

thank you for your answer, i'll try that tomorrow. I will leave question unanswered for now, if something comes up.

Community Member

Hi,any suggestion or comment

Hi,

any suggestion or comment regarding such behavior of wlc, would be much appreciated?

Thanks!

Regards,

Lovro

Community Member

Ok, here's update. When I

Ok, here's update.

When I plug wlc in L2 switch( not cisco) whole network is down, nothing is pingable. It seams like some kind of broadcast kills every communication on network.

Multicast address is 239.0.1.1.

config of port 1 management interface of WLC 2504 is in the attachment.

Also I'm worried about this line from getting started guide of my access points (1600series):

- CAPWAP does not support Layer 2. The access point must get an IP address and discover the
  controller using Layer 3, DHCP, DNS, or IP subnet broadcast.

My controller 2500 series 7.6 release, doesn't support LWAPP which support L2 discovery.

But first of all I'm curios what kills network when I plug in WLC?

EDITED:

On local LAN there is a bad, low cost L2 dummy switch, on other network that isn't  a problem.

tnx

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content