Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WLC 2504 config internal DHCP

Hello people,

I've a problem with internal DHCP on my 2 WLC 2504. To introduce my situation and what I want... I've 2 WLC 2504 with 11 AP (LAP1242 and LAP1262) for the site of my enterprise. There are 2 WLANs configured, 1 for the employees and 1 for the guest.

My idea is to separate the guest to my enterprise network. For this, I use VLAN, ID 1 (default) for employees and 3 for guest (ID 2 is use for VoIP). On the WLC, I create a new interface with ID 3 for VLAN identifier and 192.168.30.1 for IP.

Now I want to create a DHCP scope for this interface. Activate proxy DHCP and config new scope...

Start address : 192.168.30.10

End address : 192.168.30.100

Netmask : 255.255.255.0

Network : 192.168.30.0

Default routers : 192.168.30.254

A this step, I've a error message when validating my config :

Error in setting DHCP scope router addresses.

I've read 1 time, 2 time, 3 time ... the doc, but I don't see where I make a mistake.

Can you help me?

Thank you...

6 REPLIES

After a reboot, I can validate the router... Why? I don't know... Now I want to assign the scope to my dynamic interface but when I put the interface address in DHCP primary server, controler refuse...

For informations, I've management interface with address 172.16.3.61 (my LAN is 172.16.0.0/16) and dynamic interface with address 192.168.30.1/24.

At this step I think I've a mistake, but where?...

I use Windows Server 2008 R2 DHCP for the management interface.

Re: WLC 2504 config internal DHCP

you want to poi t the guest interface at the management interface for its primary DHCP server.

Steve

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

HTH, Steve ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Hello, thank you for your reply. I don't understand... For the  employees, the WLAN are assigned to the management interface who using  Windows Server DHCP and for the guest, the WLAN is assigned to the  dynamic interface who is using internal DHCP server. When I put the IP  address of management interface, no error message... Is the good  configuration?

I found this example for my configuration...

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6366/products_tech_note09186a0080af5d13.shtml#internal-dhcp-config-example

And in the explication of the packet flow, the example said that the IP address of DHCP server must be the IP of management interface... So, I can't use the IP address of dynamic interface.

But in my configuration, my dynamic interface have an IP who is not in the same network than the IP of management interface. It's not a problem?

no it's not a problem. The packet from the dynamic interface will be encapsulated with the subnet of the interface. Then the WLC looks up the configured scopes and assigns an appropriate address.

It works just like a normal dhcp server in that regard

Steve

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

HTH, Steve ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Ok thank you. Now I must test this config on monday when I'm on site... Another question. Because I've got a second WLC, I configure the DHCP scope on WLC 1 with 192.168.30.10-192.168.30.100 and scope WLC 2 with 192.168.30.101-192.168.30.200 because all guest will be on the same network. I think I must have this configuration because the 2 DHCP server don't know DB of each other. Risk of IP conflict...

And the VLAN identifier (ID 3) of the dynamic interface add for all packet ID 3? If it's true can you explain to me what is the quarantine vlan id?

Thanks guy's!

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content