Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

WLC 2504 Controller and 4 access points with 5 vlans

Hi All,

Ok, I have hit a brick wall with this wlc 2504 controller.

I am trying to setup 4 access points. Each ap should dish out 5 vlans (5 ssids in effect)

I have setup each vlan that exists on my layer 3 switch on the controller under the interfaces section. I have setup a wlan for each interface.

If I plug in an ap either directly to the controller on a poe port or just into a poe port on my network I get nothing appearing in the controller access point pages.

To be honest I am very confused over all of this. I can config cisco switches and routers and standalone cli ap's just fine but this controller really has thrown me.

I am unsure what the difference between a static interface and dynamic interface is and also what ap auto management is. Also when do you use LAG?

Anyone got any tips they can throw my way to try and get these access points recognized. And also any tips in regards to setting up multiple vlans. DHCP server is a windows server if that makes any difference.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Dan

1 REPLY
Bronze

Hi, what the difference

Hi,

what the difference between a static interface and dynamic interface is

static interface are the vital interfaces for the WLC "management, Service port, Virtual interface, the dynamic interfaces are to define VLANs for the SSID's

and also what ap auto management is.

you need this one to make the L3 communication between the WLC and the AP

Also when do you use LAG?

you use LAG to have redundancy if the physical link went down, if you don't want to use LAG, just set each interface to have backup port in case of failure.

for your issue, to broadcast SSID's you need to make the AP's join the WLC first, for that:

-what is the WLC software?

-what are the AP models?

after the AP's are joined, just create AP groups and assign the SSID's to each specific AP.

Views
Helpful
Replies