Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC 2504 failed boot

thl
Level 1
Level 1

Hello.

My WLC 2504 failed to boot. The SYS and ALM leds are solid amber. I think my bootloader i broken. I have no service contract. Is there a way to get my hands on the bootloader software such that I can reinstall it myself?

Thomas

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I don't think that's a boot loader issue.  I have done installs where I don't see anything on the console and it was indeed a hardware failure. If the image was corrupt, you would still see output from the console which allowed you to install and image to boot.

I have a 2504 running at home and I have v8.0.100.0 and upgraded to the v8.0MR1 beta. If you don't see anything from the console, it's a hardware failure for sure.  Without a service contract you will not be able to open a TAC case. Purchase a cheap smartnet and RMA the device. It will be a lot cheaper than buying a new 2504.

Scott

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You get the image from TAC, if it is indeed the bootloader.  You can always get a SmartNet (cheapest one you can find) so that you can RMA the unit if it is something else.  Did you happen to delete the images?

Scott

-Scott

Thanks for the reply Scott.

I assume since I have no contract I can't get in touch with TAC? I would guess it's the boot loader. I got the 8.0 FW from a friend who have upgrades he's WLC 2504. And after upgrading to this image things worked for 2 days, and then the box just died. No output to CLI or anything, so I would presume that's the bootloader that is preventing the wlc from booting properly.

Thomas

I don't think that's a boot loader issue.  I have done installs where I don't see anything on the console and it was indeed a hardware failure. If the image was corrupt, you would still see output from the console which allowed you to install and image to boot.

I have a 2504 running at home and I have v8.0.100.0 and upgraded to the v8.0MR1 beta. If you don't see anything from the console, it's a hardware failure for sure.  Without a service contract you will not be able to open a TAC case. Purchase a cheap smartnet and RMA the device. It will be a lot cheaper than buying a new 2504.

Scott

-Scott

Great Scott.

Thanks for your valuable information. Any idea on where i can get such cheap smartnet access?

Thomas

Let me look around for ya. 

-Scott

just mine 1 cent.....

-----

I had same problem with 2100 WLC and then one of my colleauge changed the Memory card(Speicherkarte) and it worked again.

If you can then try it.

Regards

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card