Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

WLC 2504 - Not allowing more than 50 connecitons

I've got a 2504 that is licensed to support 15 AP's.   Currently there are 11 associated with the controller.

9 of the APs are model AIR-CAP3502I-A-K9  and 2 outlying are AIR-LAP1242AG-A-K9.  All are running 7.4.121.0 code.

The WLC is running 7.4.121.0 code as well.

We have multiple users connecting to the network in the building this WLC supposrt.  Currently there are 43 connected to the company WLAN and 16 connected to the Guest networks.

At the high point today we had 57 on the company and 19 on the guest.  And the wireless stopped allowing connections (especially from Guest). 

What are the options (I don't think the APs are overloaded) to allow more people to connect?    What am I missing?

Everyone's tags (1)
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Check your DHCP scope.  Maybe

Check your DHCP scope.  Maybe you've got DHCP exhaustion.

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Your DHCP scope seems kinda

Your DHCP scope seems kinda "tiny".  You may need to open it up.  For corporate, allocate a value of 1:3, where for every staff there is, potentially, three wireless devices.  So if you have a staff count of 100, then there's potentially 300 wireless devices and adjust your DHCP scope accordingly. 

Wireless guest doesn't have the luxury of that so you don't necessarily want to have that ratio, but you may want to consider lowering guest DHCP scope down to 30 minutes. 

3 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Check your DHCP scope.  Maybe

Check your DHCP scope.  Maybe you've got DHCP exhaustion.

The system admins like to

The system admins like to keep the Network guy out of things but I did take a peek and the scope was 100% used and set for 1 day lease.  I've changed that to 12 hours.  I'm hoping that will release things.

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Your DHCP scope seems kinda

Your DHCP scope seems kinda "tiny".  You may need to open it up.  For corporate, allocate a value of 1:3, where for every staff there is, potentially, three wireless devices.  So if you have a staff count of 100, then there's potentially 300 wireless devices and adjust your DHCP scope accordingly. 

Wireless guest doesn't have the luxury of that so you don't necessarily want to have that ratio, but you may want to consider lowering guest DHCP scope down to 30 minutes. 

Views
Helpful
Replies