Replies

WLC 2504 redundancy set up

Mika J
Level 1
Level 1

WLC: 2504

Firmware: 7.6.100

Hello,

I'm getting very confused in how to set up redundancy with WLC 2504. Some sources talk about Client SSO, some about N+1.

But it seems that although I should use Client SSO with firmware 7.6, the WLC 2504 doesn't support it.

When I type config redundancy, I have no choice

>config redundancy ?

unit           Configure redundancy unit [primary | secondary]

So I typed "config redundancy unit primary" on my 2504 and "config redundancy unit secondary" on my 2504-HA

And when I issue this command I have very little information

>show redundancy summary

Type of the Unit = Primary

Does someone has guidelines for redundancy with WLC 2504 on firmware 7.6 ?

Thank you

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Leo is right if your looking to do AP SSO. The 2504 doesn't support that, but supports N+1 like Leo mentioned. Here is a guide. 

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/technology/hi_avail/N1_High_Availability_Deployment_Guide.pdf

Please rate helpful post and Cisco Support Community will donate to Kiva

Scotty

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Won't work.  2504 will only support N+1.

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Leo is right if your looking to do AP SSO. The 2504 doesn't support that, but supports N+1 like Leo mentioned. Here is a guide. 

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/technology/hi_avail/N1_High_Availability_Deployment_Guide.pdf

Please rate helpful post and Cisco Support Community will donate to Kiva

Scotty

-Scott

Mika J
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Thank you both for your answers.

Something I didn't understand in the documentation is this.

Is there a replication of configuration between the WLC primary and the HA ? I did read that they should have different network settings (IP addresses) so I understand that there is not a total replication, what about the rest of the configuration ?

The only result I have when I issue a command on the WLC-HA is this

>show redundancy summary

Type of the Unit = Secondary

It doesn't look exactly what I see in the documentation.

Thank you

That is only for AP SSO... Redundancy configuration is not needed for N+1.  In N+1, you have to configure both WLC's.... There is no sync. 

-Scott

Make it simple, configure both WLC independently, so different IP and hostnames. Even the dynamic interface IP address will be different. Then on the AP, configure the high availability in which you put the primary and the secondary WLC hostname (case sensitive) and IP address. 

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless-mobility/wireless-lan-wlan/69639-wlc-failover.html

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: