Views
Helpful
Replies

wlc 4402 limit guest wlan speed

lfgchinadc
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We have one wlc 4402 and configured two wlan, office and guest. Since office and guest share the same Internet connection, we want to limit the guest wlan speed to 1Mb, so no matter how many clients connect to guest wlan, they can only share 1Mb, thus the office wlan Internet connection is not impacted. I checked cisco configuration sample but didn't find such case. Could somebody give me some hints? Thanks.

5 Replies 5

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The WLC does not have that capability. Here are some ways others have limited guest traffic.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/search.jspa?peopleEnabled=true&userID=&containerType=&container=&spotlight=true&q=Guestbandwidth

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

As Scott pointed out the WLC really doesnt manage that piece. Normal QoS poilicy is one way of addressing this issue.

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Amjad Abdullah
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hey Jimmy,

you can use QoS roles and limit the bandwidth of each guest user independently.

But you can not limit a group of users to use only limited bandwidth.

QoS roles are available under WLC GUI-> Wireless -> QoS -> Roles.

after creating the role you can set it's parameters (average datarate permitted, for example).

and they can be added when you are creating teh local net user. while creating the local net user you can check the "Guest User" checkbox and then check "Guest User Role" checkbox and choose the role.

in this case the guest user will be limited to the datarate you created.

you can achieve what you want by allowing every guest user 128 kbps for example as maximum internet access. so it needs 8 guest users to make the 1 Mbps full.

Hope this is useful for you.

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

I would use the profile with caution. It has been buggy in various codes. Also the design guide even suggest not using this. Also this only handles downstream traffic and not upstream.

I would test it before you use it. . And you would have to deploy a qos policy on the upstream any way ...

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

lfgchinadc
Level 1
Level 1

I got some suggestion that we can deploy rate limit to the guest vlan in the central layer 3 switch, which wlc connects to. I'll try this.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card