Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC 4402 - same or differensubnets for management and AP-manager interfaces

minoaht
Level 1
Level 1

WLC 4402 - same or different subnets for management and AP-manager interfaces

I have seen conflicting documentation regarding IP addresses for the management and AP-management interfaces.

Is it best practise to have them on the same subnet and VLAN, or not?

Also, besides the WLC, do AP's need to communicate with any other device e.g. WCS, Location Appliance?

thanks,

3 Replies 3

diro
Level 1
Level 1

I have the same problem, most documentation say that they do not have to be the same but some documentation says they have to be the same. I my self am using a 2006 controller, the experience on that machine learned me that they have to be the same + you must use port 1. I also tried different vlan's and other ports, in that case it sometimes worked, but most of the time it gave problems.

ericgarnel
Level 7
Level 7

Yes.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/4.1/configuration/guide/c41mint.html#wp1126765

"Note The AP-manager interface's IP address must be different from the management interface's IP address and may or may not be on the same subnet as the management interface. However, Cisco recommends that both interfaces be on the same subnet for optimum access point association. "

The AP communicates with the WLC which then communicates with WCS which then communicates with the location appliance. I don't believe there is any direct communication between the WLC and location appliance.

Guide says "same subnet".

From p6-3 of the "Cisco Wireless LAN Controller Configuration Guide" --

"When using the Layer 3 LWAPP mode, you should configure the management and AP-manager

interfaces to be on the same subnet so that access points can join the controller."

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card