Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC 5508 7.4.100.0 HA standby reboot loop

mo shea
Level 1
Level 1

Hi.....

We have been running two 5508 WLCs in HA mode for a while now connecting 25 2602 APs. We disconnected the heartbeat utp cbale to change the positision of the standby WLC in the rack. We did not power it off. After we plugged back the Heartbeat cable the standby WLC goes into a reboot loop and gives the following error message

Error:Unable to add Licenses on secondary Controller

Now I did not try to reboot the primary one as users are connected and am afraid I will have two WLCs down instead of one. From what I have been reading it seemed that several HA issues were resolved in code 7.4.100.0...

I hope there is simple fix/workaround for this situation.

All help is appreciated

4 Replies 4

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Well if you remove HA, both WLC's think that they are the primary now. You need to disable ap SSO first. Now you have to enable the port adminmode to get the ports back up.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thank you for the feedback

I simply rebooted the primary, then the secondary, without disabling sso. Everything went fine!

Thnaks again

Abhishek Abhishek
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

As per your query i can suggest you the following  solution -

This document provides information on the theory of operation and configuration for the Cisco Unified Wireless LAN Controller (WLC) as it pertains to supporting stateful switchover of access points (AP SSO).

The new High Availability (HA) feature (that is, AP SSO) set within the Cisco Unified Wireless Network software release version 7.3 allows the access point (AP) to establish a CAPWAP tunnel with the Active WLC and share a mirror copy of the AP database with the Standby WLC. The APs do not go into the Discovery state when the Active WLC fails and the Standby WLC takes over the network as the Active WLC.

There is only one CAPWAP tunnel maintained at a time between the APs and the WLC that is in an Active state. The overall goal for the addition of AP SSO support to the Cisco Unified Wireless LAN was to reduce major downtime in wireless networks due to failure conditions that may occur due to box failover or network failover.

For more information please refer to the link-

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10315/products_tech_note09186a0080bd3504.shtml

Hope this will help you.

Thank you, very helpful indeed. Hope you can advice on my other thread in this forum regarding Weak signal for mobil devices.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card