cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC 5508 and AP1262N

jeremyvinson
Level 1
Level 1

We currently have AP1142N's and decided to step up to AP1262N's to see if we liked them better. I TFTP the ap3g1-rcvk9w8-tar.124-23c.JA5.tar to the new AP for LWAPP. It did work, but won't join the WLC and we get the following message if I'm consoled into the AP.

CAPWAP-3-UNSUPPORTED_WLC_VERSION: Unsupported version 6.0.199.4 on WLC

So, I'm assuming that I'll have to update the 5508 WLC in order for them to work?  Any advice would be nice.

Thanks,

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Correct, you need to be running 7.0 to be able to suppor teh 1262.  But if you're going to upgrade might as well go to the latest 7.0

HTH,
Steve

-----------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
So, I'm assuming that I'll have to update the 5508 WLC in order for them to work?  Any advice would be nice.

I am with Steve.  You need to upgrade the firmware of your WLC.

If you have WLC 2504/5508/WiSM-2 and you don't have any WiSM-1, 440X then upgrade to 7.2.110.0.  Otherwise, if you have the old models then go to 7.0.235.0.

Amjad Abdullah
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

AP data sheets say that the folloiwng are the supported softwares on this AP:

Cisco Unified Wireless Network Software Release 7.0 or later

Cisco IOS® Software Release 12.4(25d)JA

Reference: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps5678/ps10980/data_sheet_c78-593663.html

so you need 7.x code version on your WLC.

HTH

Amjad

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

8 Replies 8

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Correct, you need to be running 7.0 to be able to suppor teh 1262.  But if you're going to upgrade might as well go to the latest 7.0

HTH,
Steve

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I am with Steve.  You need to upgrade the firmware of your WLC.

If you have WLC 2504/5508/WiSM-2 and you don't have any WiSM-1, 440X then upgrade to 7.2.110.0.  Otherwise, if you have the old models then go to 7.0.235.0.

Amjad Abdullah
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

AP data sheets say that the folloiwng are the supported softwares on this AP:

Cisco Unified Wireless Network Software Release 7.0 or later

Cisco IOS® Software Release 12.4(25d)JA

Reference: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps5678/ps10980/data_sheet_c78-593663.html

so you need 7.x code version on your WLC.

HTH

Amjad

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

Thanks guys, so I have software version 6.0.199.4 on the 5508 WLC, so I should be able to upgrade straight to one of the 7.x versions without issue, correct?

I realize that the WLC will need to reboot after the upgrade, so I need to inform everyone of downtime. How long should it take to TFTP the file, upgrade, then reboot?

Again, thanks for all your help!!

You should have no problem wit the upgrade.  If you are currently all 1142, you can use the pre-download feature to push the image to the AP, prior ot rebooting the WLC.  So all they have to do is reboot, and come up on teh new code, vs downloading on join.

If you use the pre-download should be abot 5 minutes from the reboot.

HTH,
Steve

HTH,
Steve

yes, 6.0 to 7.0 is straight jump.

Predownloading an Image to an Access Point:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/6.0/configuration/guide/c60mfw.html#wp1132291

The 1142N AP's currently have the LWAPP on it: c1140-rcvk9w8-tar.124-21a.JX.tar

They have already been joined to the WLC before, so are you saying they will have to be updated again?

Thanks,

Yes, when you upgrade the WLC, it will push an update to the AP as well.

HTH,
Steve

HTH,
Steve

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card