cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC 5508 and its 8 ports

salilai01
Level 1
Level 1

I've three independants sites that I want to manage with the controller 5508, do I have to use three port of management?

could you explain me the use of managment interface because the wlc contains 8 and I'm using the first port "1".

3 Replies 3

Erwin Salazar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Sali,

This link should give you a good idea of how those ports work:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/7.4/configuration/guides/consolidated/b_cg74_CONSOLIDATED_chapter_011010.html

Ultimately, you can only assign a single "port" number to your management interface with LAG disabled.  With LAG enabled, it is similar to an etherchannel setup where you are bundling all the connected ports together. 

Cheers,
Erwin

How helpful was I? Don't forget to rate me when you have the chance!

Cheers, Erwin ______________________________________ How helpful was I? Don't forget to rate me when you have the chance!

Abhishek Abhishek
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

As per your query i can suggest  you the following solution-

The management interface  acts like an AP-manager interface by default, and the access points can  join on this interface.

We recommend using link aggregation (LAG) or  configuring dynamic AP-manager interfaces on each Gigabit Ethernet port  to automatically balance the load. If more than 100 access points are  connected to the Cisco 5500 Series Controller, make sure that more than  one Gigabit Ethernet interface is connected to the upstream switch.

Hope this will help you.

Ravi Singh
Level 7
Level 7
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card