Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WLC 5508 , AP client dhcp address different from WLAN interface VLAN subnet?

Hope the title makes sense, here's my situation: I have multiple businesses on 1 WLC 5508, there's a LAG to my core switch with seperate interfaces for each, broken up by vlans.

My question is: if i have a WLAN setup to use interface "Company A" which is vlan 10 with an ip of 10.0.1.5 which then points to 10.0.1.10 for dhcp.

Can the WLAN client connecting to the Company A WLAN use an IP in a different IP range?(192.168.1.10?) can the wlc route? from the perspective of the DHCP server where doers the request come from? (10.0.1.5?)

Can the DHCP server 10.0.10.10 on vlan 10 respond back with and ip on a different subnet to assign to the client to use and still be fully fonctioning? would the default gateway for the client need to be 10.0.1.5?  So the clients ip would be 192.168.1.10 /24 with a gateway of 10.0.1.5 (ip adress fo vlan10 interface on WLC) And if multiple clients on the same subnet wanted to talk to each other woudl the WLC know how to route them to each other without passing through the default gateway?

Sorry if this is confusing I'm having a bit of a hard time explaining it in works, i can try and draw somethign up if it makes more sense.

thanks

Eric

4 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Gold

WLC 5508 , AP client dhcp address different from WLAN interface

Can the WLAN client connecting to the Company A WLAN use an IP in a different IP range?(192.168.1.10?) can the wlc route?

Yes this is do-able if you configure RADIUS to authenticate with 802.1X.  802.1X will determine if your credentials are valid, check AD to see which network you are suppose to go and punt you to the right direction.

Leo Laohoo wrote:

Yes this is do-able if you configure RADIUS to authenticate with 802.1X.  802.1X will determine if your credentials are valid, check AD to see which network you are suppose to go and punt you to the right direction.

But thats the issue i was wondering about, if the WLAN client has a different ip subnet than the VLAN connecting the WLC to the dhcp/radius servers can the WLC route the requests though that VLAN when the client requests data ie.. web site, internal servers, bla bla

I think if you want these clients to stick to a WLAN configured on a VLAN that has a different IP addressing you could configure your VLAN with the normal IP addressing then add on the SVI the 2nd IP_Class_default_gateway.

E.G.

Vlan 10

interface vlan 10

ip address 10.0.10.1 255.255.255.0

ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0 secondary

Clients that receive IP address from 192.168.1.0/24 network will be able to reach 192.168.1.1 and all traffic will pass right.

Cisco Employee

Yes its possible. As

Yes its possible. As mentioned earlier you can use 802.1x authentication. Its L2 authentication on controller and L3 LAP connectivity, because client is on different subnet then controller .

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content