Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

WLC 5508 deployment

Hi All,

Currently we have 40 AP in standalone mode, we want to add a controller in our architecture to enhance coverage and set up a policy for autentication with AD.

I have created a simple test lab with an AP in the lightweight mode and the authentication is fine with a radius server (by using web authentication, 802.1x).

Now, in case of the WLC crashes I want that the process doesn't stop and the data continues to pass through the AP.

After reading some cisco documents, I find the "Flexconnect" which is a solution to configure and control APs in a  branch or remote office from the corporate office through a WAN link  without the deployment of a controller in each office.

Can I use this mode in our internal office ? Knowing that the goal is to avoid centralization of the traffic on the wlc.

If this mode is not the best could you suggest another please?

Many thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: WLC 5508 deployment

Yes you can use FlexConnect mode if you wish. This is an alternative when you have only one WLC. What you should maybe look at is a 5508 HA sku WLC. Thus HA sku WLC doesn't require license so it's cheaper and a good alternative to redundancy. You would only need to purchase licenses for your existing WLC and the HA sku WLC can backup up to the max ap count for that device which is 500.

In the meantime, FlexConnect can work for you, it's just that there are some limitations to FlexConnect than is the AP's were in local mode. You can find that section in the doc you were referencing.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
11 REPLIES

Yes you can use FlexConnect mode if you wish. This is an alternative when you have only one WLC. What you should maybe look at is a 5508 HA sku WLC. Thus HA sku WLC doesn't require license so it's cheaper and a good alternative to redundancy. You would only need to purchase licenses for your existing WLC and the HA sku WLC can backup up to the max ap count for that device which is 500.

In the meantime, FlexConnect can work for you, it's just that there are some limitations to FlexConnect than is the AP's were in local mode. You can find that section in the doc you were referencing.

-Scott

WLC 5508 deployment

Thank you Scott for your quick reply.

I will study the FlexConnect mode and make after some posts regarding this topics.

WLC 5508 deployment

is there another possibility?

Any other possibility??? Can you explain a bit more.

-Scott

WLC 5508 deployment

I want only to know if there is another way (or fonctionnment mode on the wlc) to ensure that the traffic pass through the AP by using 802.1x and what are the most important recommandations for the deployment.

The two modes of operation will be local and FlexConnect for your setup. Your only option is FlexConnect if you want the AP's to stay up and functional if the WLC goes down. The only issue with FlexConnect like I mentioned is the the limitations when compared to local mode. Things like multicast or bonjour gateway. If you require the use of mDNS or multicast to multicast or any of the other features that is limited on FlexConnect, then your cheapest alternative is to purchase a 5508 HA sku.

-Scott

WLC 5508 deployment

what is a 5508 HA sku?

The HA sku is another WLC appliance that is an HA sku part number that you can use in AP SSO and or N+1 setup without having to purchase licenses for that device.

-Scott

Here is a link that explains HA sku

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps6302/ps8322/ps10315/qa_c67-714540.html

-Scott

WLC 5508 deployment

Thank you Scott for the information. I'll try to understand the deployment of the two appliance together.

If you have a budget for one, that would be the best design. Now you have true redundancy with AP's in local mode.

N+1
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/technology/hi_avail/N1_High_Availability_Deployment_Guide.pdf

AP SSO
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10315/products_tech_note09186a0080bd3504.shtml

-Scott
Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content