cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC 5508 - Importing SSL certificate

msingh2007
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Cisco Wireless LAN Controller 5508, which uses 7.3.112.0.  I have the VeriSign certificate but I received two intermediate files (primary and secondary), and my question is, which one do I use?

I have referred to this document from Cisco already and found no information on there:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a00806e367a.shtml

Thanks!

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If that helped can you mark the post answered. Thanks

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

24 Replies 24

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Look at these links

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-16220

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6366/products_configuration_example09186a0080a77592.shtml

-Scott

Thanks Scott.  That's helpful!  Now I know what to do

If that helped can you mark the post answered. Thanks

-Scott

I spoke to VeriSign and they don't know anything about these Certificate Levels.  Are there are any CAs out there that still give out one intermediate certificate that would work with the Cisco WLCs?

Nope... after I think in July 2010, all vendors migrated to a 2048 root CA which made all certs chained.  They will no longer issue unchained certificates as that was a standard when they were using 1024.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

Thanks Scott.  So what does someone like me do who needs to use a SSL cert but can't install one because of this change?

Is there a way for me to use only one of the two intermediate certificates?

Nope.... you need to combine all the intermediates along with the device cert and the root.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

Sorry if I sound stupid but in your previous replies, you sent a link with this following information in it:

Level 3 or higher is not supported

Level 3 - use of server certificate on WLC, two CA intermediate certificates and a CA Root Certificate.

So if I combine all the certificates as follows:

−−−−−−BEGIN CERTIFICATE−−−−−−
*Device cert*
−−−−−−END CERTIFICATE−−−−−−
*Intermediate CA primary cert *
−−−−−−END CERTIFICATE−−−−−−−−

*Intermediate CA secondary cert *
−−−−−−END CERTIFICATE−−−−−−−−

*Root CA cert *
−−−−−−END CERTIFICATE−−−−−−

It will work?  Do all of these certs need to be in X.509 format?

Thanks!

That is a chained certificate.... if your looking at using a cert for management, you need an unchained cert, which is typically one intermediate.

Thanks,

Scott

-Scott

I need a cert for the users on the guest WLAN network as I want to set it up using the Web Authentication.  I don't need to install a certificate for management purposes.  Any tips or guidelines you can provide?

Okay... so for webauth, you need to reference the guide I posted earlier.  Then request a general ssl cert from whomever.  You will get a device cert and a few intermediate certificates in which you will have to either export the root from the device cert or ask them to send you the root cert also.  Then you bundle them up using OpennSSL Light v9.8.... I think v1.0 works, but better safe than sorry.  Once you combine the cert, you upload that to the WLC and on the VIP interface you set the DNS hostname which is the FQDN of the cert.  Make sure DNS the guest will use can resolve the FQDN to the VIP.  Thats it.

Thanks,

Scott

-Scott

The guide you posted doesn't say that two intermediates are supported.  It says that two intermediates are not supported.  So how would this work if they are not supported and I still combine them?

It's a level 2 cert: 

Certificate Levels

• Level 0—Use of only a server certificate on WLC.
  • Level 1—Use of server certificate on WLC and a CA root certificate.
  • Level 2—Use of server certificate on WLC, one single CA intermediate certificate, and a CA root certificate.
  • Level 3—Use of server certificate on WLC, two CA intermediate certificates, and a CA root certificate.

So it would look like this:

------BEGIN CERTIFICATE------
*Device cert*
------END CERTIFICATE------
*Intermediate CA cert *
------END CERTIFICATE--------
*Intermediate CA cert *
------END CERTIFICATE--------
------BEGIN CERTIFICATE------ *Root CA cert * ------END CERTIFICATE------

Thanks,

Scott

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card