Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WLC 5508 in HA

Hi everyone,

I have a doubt with a scheme of WLC in HA, I hope someone can help me.  

I have 6 remote sites and 2 main sites, in coming year at least 3 remote sites will be opened.  Each remote site has one WLC 5508, I want to deploy HA for these ones, however I want to know if only I must put other WLC at each remote site?  or exists other way in order to deploy a  Cisco WLC in Main Site for working like WLC HA for every one at remote sites?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

1. That is up to you and what

1. That is up to you and what you need for redundancy. With that low of licensing and the cost you may just want to buy a 50 count controller and not bother with an HA SKU. (2 could fail)

2. I believe this was back when they were selling HA only SKUs, you couldn't upgrade an HA to a permanent license. 

3.  Yes, I mentioned that the APs will lose CAPWAP connections. There will be an outage during fail over

4. It will not, N+1 is for redundancy on one. 

Some designs with smaller sites use FlexConnect with AP SSO on redundant controllers in a data center, minimizing downtime.There are some caveats though.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/5500-series-wireless-controllers/112042-technote-product-00.html

3 REPLIES

Hello Mario, N+1 HA

Hello Mario,

N+1 HA Deployment allows you to use 1 controller as backup to multiple offsite controllers.

Things to keep in mind:

On fail-over APs reinstate their CAPWAP to the new controller (outage for clients)

Running the same code version is recommended to minimize downtime (no AP upgrade/downgrade)

The HA sku controller will have a 90 day timer on fail-over

Here is the deployment guide..

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/technology/hi_avail/N1_High_Availability_Deployment_Guide.pdf

Dear TJThanks for your quick

Dear TJ

Thanks for your quick reply, Is very helpful your post, however I have another doubts now:

1. Taking in mind that in remote sites I have every WLC with 25 Licenses (all 5508), How I should buy the new WLC?

2. I am very confused with WLC HA-SKU and WLC HA-SKU UDI, what is the difference?

3.  AP SSO in HA n+1 is not supported, it how would affect my current deployment?

4. This model will support if two WLC fails at same time?

Thanks for your help

1. That is up to you and what

1. That is up to you and what you need for redundancy. With that low of licensing and the cost you may just want to buy a 50 count controller and not bother with an HA SKU. (2 could fail)

2. I believe this was back when they were selling HA only SKUs, you couldn't upgrade an HA to a permanent license. 

3.  Yes, I mentioned that the APs will lose CAPWAP connections. There will be an outage during fail over

4. It will not, N+1 is for redundancy on one. 

Some designs with smaller sites use FlexConnect with AP SSO on redundant controllers in a data center, minimizing downtime.There are some caveats though.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/5500-series-wireless-controllers/112042-technote-product-00.html

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content