cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

wlc 5508 management interface vlan - access point vlan

Mathieu Sturm
Level 1
Level 1

Is it required that the access points are in the same vlan as the management interface on a wlc 5508?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

No, it's not required.  So long as there is L3 reachability between the AP VLAN(s) and the Management interface that is what matters.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

No, it's not required.  So long as there is L3 reachability between the AP VLAN(s) and the Management interface that is what matters.

HTH,
Steve

HTH,
Steve

Steve is right.... just to add, here is a link to a doc that explains the AP join process in both layer 2 and layer 3.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_tech_note09186a00806c9e51.shtml

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

One thing I will add. If you use the management interface and not an ap manger. Make sure under the management interface you check box dynamic ap manager.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Good point George... I keep assuming people don't change that:)

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

I assume the same for the Gen2 WLC. 

HTH,
Steve

HTH,
Steve

There is a story behind this .. Just yesterday my guy was like "aps wont join" .. I let him hammer away at it .. It was the check box

__________________________________________________________________________________________
"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin
__________________________________________________________________________________________
‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

Your EVIL!!!!

Thanks,

Scott

-Scott

The positive .. He will never forget it again!

‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: