Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

WLC 5508 upgrade to software 7.6

Hi,

I upgraded Cisco WLC from version 7.5 to 7.6, but unfortunately I lost connection to WLC. After upgrade I restarted the wireless controller but it didnt come up. The fiber port of WLC connnected to switch is showing down , down  but the service port is showing up. I cannot login through serice port also.

The controller is at remote location and I am at main office, I want to know does the configuration WLC had got lost after upgrade and why the fiber port is showing down, down in switch?

Thanks.

Shakeer

23 REPLIES
VIP Purple

Not sure whether image fully copied across prior to your reboot.

You have to get console output while booting the controller to see what's goin on

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Re: WLC 5508 upgrade to software 7.6

Hi,

It showed the message to reboot the controller to take effects (something like this, i dont remember exactly). Then I rebooted the Controller.

Btw, before doing upgrade from GUI, I tried from CLI and the new image was showing as primary while the old image was showing as backup active even after rebooting the controller.

Then I tried the GUI upgrade and once I rebooted the controller I lost the connection.

Thanks.

VIP Purple

Now only option is while console is connected to WLC reboot it & capture the console output. That will tell what's happening.

If you already have TAC support get their assistance as well

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Hi,

I connected with console and I found that the controller is stuck at boot looder menu. Also both the primary and backup images are 7.6 version (I guess this is because I uploaded the image twice).

Is there any way to make the controller working now?. Does the image is corrupt. I downloaded from cisco website.

Thanks.

Shakeer.

VIP Purple

HI Shakeer

Can u paste the logs from WLC.

Regards

Hi,

only I can see is below snapshot from CLI

asasa.JPG

Thanks..

VIP Purple

Hi Shakker,

Contact TAC.  They can tell you how to load the firmware.

But before you do that, you need to ensure your firmware is not corrupted.  I am suspecting it is and this is why the upgrade failed.

Regards

Hi,

First of all I will get the SMARTNET then will contact TAC. Even I suspect the image is corrupted during the process of uploading to cloud and downloading at the remote site.

Thanks.

VIP Purple

HI Shakker,

Even i think like this.

So it would be good if u contatc with TAC. Cisco TAC can help get your WLC working again.

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

Hi,

Which SMARTNET I need to buy? There are plenty avaiable?

SMARTnet 8x5xNBD (SNT)

or

Software Maintenance - TAC,CCO,IOS SW (SW)

or any other? Also I have issue with Apple devices which I would like Cisco TAC to provide solution . So please suggest based on all these issues.

Thanks.

VIP Purple

HI Shakeer,

Any Cisco product purchase should include the associated Smartnet contract.You must ask with your authorized Cisco reseller should be able to help you providing complete package to purchase that includes both the actual Cisco product and the associated Smartnet contract.

So please contact to your Cisco device supplier and ask him about this contract.

Regards

Dont forget to arte helpful posts.

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Depending how long ago you purchased this WLC, you can still open a TAC case if it's within 90 days.

If you see valid image on the boot, have you tried booting the other image? Your primary might be corrupt, but your backup might not be.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi,

When I try to open a case with the serial number of controller , I am getting below error.

Capture.JPG

VIP Purple

I will recommand that U must call to Cisco TAC customer care and then told them to raise a TAC case.

Regards

Okay, but how long ago did you purchase the 5508.... You have a free 90 days is what I'm saying. Past that you need to buy a support contract.

-Scott

It is less than 90 days since we purchased the controller. How can I open a case ? When I am entering S/No it is showing not covered under service contract.

Thanks.

VIP Purple

HI SHAKEER,

if you are not able to craete a tac case then please call here and tell then to raise a case with problem desception

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/support/tsd_cisco_worldwide_contacts.html

Regards

Hall of Fame Super Gold

It is less than 90 days since we purchased the controller. How can I open a case ? When I am entering S/No it is showing not covered under service contract.

1.  Send an email to tac@cisco.com.  Make sure the following details are included in the email:  S/N of the appliance, nature of the problem, your CCO login.

2.  You'll receive a response saying that you are not entitled, so you need to scanned copy of the appliance's delivery receipt/docket, the appliance's purchase order.  Scan those and reply to this email. 

Since I'm a consultant, many of my customers SN are not associated to my CCO... Calling TAC and opening a case is what I do. I never use the online form since it will not work for me.

-Scott
Hall of Fame Super Gold

I'm a consultant

And now that explains why you drive around the g0lf course in a stretched Hummer. 

That's George with the Hummer towing a boat!!!! Haha

-Scott

Soon to be a Lamborghini

__________________________________________________________________________________________ "Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin ___________________________________________________________

I bet!

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content