Anyone can point me to some post or documentation that points out what are the key differences are between WLC with and without the WCS? What are the things that the WLC can accomplish with and without the WCS?
WCS is a management too for APs and WLCs at any location .
here are the all imp feauturs.
Ease of Use
• Simple, intuitive user interface eliminates complexity
• Manage hundreds of Cisco wireless LAN controllers and thousands of Cisco Aironet access points from centralized location
Centralized Security and Network Protection
• Cisco's unified wireless security solution integrates security alerts, alarms, adaptive wireless intrusion prevention system (wIPS) and Cisco CleanAir technology into a single unified platform, from a centralized view-making it unprecedented in the industry.
• Centralized monitoring of the entire WLAN helps maintain robust WLAN performance and an optimal wireless experience
• Cisco CleanAir provides detailed information about RF interference events, air quality, and interference security threats to help more efficiently assess, prioritize, and manage RF interference issues
• Easy-to-use graphical displays serve as a starting point for maintenance, security, troubleshooting, and future capacity planning
• Graphs, charts, and tables are interactive for quick configuration and reconfiguration
• Hierarchical mapping trees, color-coding, and icons support quick visualization and status assessments of the network, devices, and air quality
• Google Earth integration helps visualize and manage outdoor wireless mesh deployments
• Cisco Spectrum Expert can be utilized for Cisco Aironet access point enabled with CleanAir that are using the Cisco Spectrum Expert configuration
• Troubleshooting any size WLAN can be performed with minimal IT staffing
• Integrated workflows and tools help IT administrators quickly assess service disruptions, receive notices about performance degradation, research resolutions, and take action to remedy nonoptimal situations
• Alerts, summaries, and reports about air quality and interferers are included with Cisco CleanAir technology to help troubleshoot the RF environment and mitigate interference from Wi-Fi and non-Wi-Fi sources
• Ever-present search tool facilitates cross-network access to immediate and historic information
• Client troubleshooting tool supports a step-by-step method to analyze problems and mis-configurations for all client devices with support to identify RF interferers that are affecting client devices
• Radio resource management (RRM) tools provide visibility into performance, RF statistics and air quality
• Extensive on-demand and automated reports can be run on immediate and historic network activity, performance, usage, devices, inventory, compliance, security and Cisco CleanAir.
• Payment Card Industry (PCI) report analyzes WLAN for potential noncompliant events
• Alarms and events can be forwarded to 3rd party north bound receivers and FCAPS applications that understand traps such as HP OpenView or IBM Tivoli Netcool.
• Report data, timeframe, and format is customizable
• Display options for charts, graphs, and tables provide enhanced flexibility
• Out-put reports in CSV or PDF format as a saved file or email
• Capacity planning is supported by trending together multiple reports for analysis
without WCS you can work with WLC but its very hard to manage all locations.
***Note: Not the cisco introduced a new tool Cisco Prime NCS. Prime NCS is replaced WCS .
its a better tool and with this new you can manage your switches also.
if you need more help and need to know more detail about the products then better to contact with providers (Cisco partners).
Transferring Crash file from standby: Login to the Active WLC in HA.
From CLI: (Cisco Controller) >transfer upload datatype crash (Cisco
Controller) >transfer upload filename (Cisco
Controller) >transfer upload mode tftp (Cisco Controller) >transfer
This is the start of a display filter cross reference between Wireshark
and OmniPeek. The 1st installment is a table of advanced filters. More
filters will be added as time allows. It is a living doc, so check back
for changes every so often Please feel f...