Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC and AP Compatible?

philbiehl
Level 1
Level 1

I have a rather basic question

We have obtained a WLC4136-K9 controller and a AIR-LAP1252G-A-K9 access point (with power injector - AIR-PWRINJ4). I'm having a heck of a time trying to get the AP seen by the controller and also am having trouble with the AP constantly rebooting. I'm getting traps on the controller webpage saying tha the AP is not supported on the controller.

So, my question is: Are these two devices compatible with one another? If not, is there a way they could be make to work with each other?

Thanks,

Phil

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

@Leo, the 4136 is an origianl Airespace controller.

@Phil, I don't believe the 41xx goes beyond 4.1 code and the 1252 needs at least 4.2 code to work.  So you would need to find a 210x or 440x at a minimum, to get that AP to join.

Steve

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

View solution in original post

Yup, 4.1 is where they stop. In fact I have 4 old AS controllers. I have the one that looks like a 24 port switch and the other ones look like a 4402 but with one SFP. And the SFP are plastic ..

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

4136 controller?  Never heard of this model before.

What firmware is your controller running?

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

@Phil, I don't believe the 41xx goes beyond 4.1 code and the 1252 needs at least 4.2 code to work.  So you would need to find a 210x or 440x at a minimum, to get that AP to join.

Steve

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Oh wow!  The original one. 

Yup, 4.1 is where they stop. In fact I have 4 old AS controllers. I have the one that looks like a 24 port switch and the other ones look like a 4402 but with one SFP. And the SFP are plastic ..

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Ok thanks guys. Not what I wanted to hear but at least I know where I stand now.

I only heave one AP (AIR-LAP1252G-A-K9) at the moment so it seems like a controller is a bit of an overkill.

So, now I'd like to use this AP as a standalone unit. I assume this means loading different code to make it "autonomous"... Is this correct? Where does one find the file and instructions for this?

Phil

Yes, you can download the autonomous image from (cco login / smartnet required):

http://www.cisco.com/cisco/software/type.html?mdfid=281235915&catid=null

Once you have an autonomous image you can follow these instructions:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/conversion/lwapp/upgrade/guide/lwapnote.html#wp161272

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card