Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WLC and AP on different subnets

I would like to add a new AP to my existing controller. Currently i have about 15 AP's connected to a seperate mgt vlan for the AP's, vlan 10. It is trunked to the controller as well as the other user vlans like Private, Public, WVoIP etc. I have already started to implement EIGRP network wide instead of having a large layer 2 vlan'd network. At one of the newest locations i'm routing at, i have a new AP to connect. I'm trying to make sure this design will work before i implement it. So, i have a 3560 connected to my core 4506 with a layer 3 connection. EIGRP running as well. I plan to have the 3560 do intervlan routing with a voice vlan, data and wireless. The problem i see is how can i get the AP to talk with the controller since they are on a different subnets, over a metro E "WAN"? Any suggestions would be great.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: WLC and AP on different subnets

As long as the LAP's have been primed locally first, that LAP will have the ip address of the WLC. If you want to attach the LAP to a different L3 subnet, then configure ip helper-address using the management ip of each wlc. then configure ip forward-protocol udp 12222 & ip forward-protocol udp 12223 globally on the L3 router. this along with the ip helper, will allow the LAP's to join the WLC on the other end.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
3 REPLIES

As long as the LAP's have been primed locally first, that LAP will have the ip address of the WLC. If you want to attach the LAP to a different L3 subnet, then configure ip helper-address using the management ip of each wlc. then configure ip forward-protocol udp 12222 & ip forward-protocol udp 12223 globally on the L3 router. this along with the ip helper, will allow the LAP's to join the WLC on the other end.

-Scott

Thanks man. That sounds like it would work. IP Helper (WLC) and IP Forward protocol.

No problem!

-Scott
Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content