Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

WLC automatic AP group assignment for new APs?

Hello everybody.

I know that the AP Group "default-group" is somehow static: no WLANs can be deleted nor added (the first 16 SSIDs will populate this group). Now, as each new AP which connects to this WLC will get automatically pushed into this "default-group", it would get all the SSIDs activated on it! This is a behavior I'd like to avoid, thus my question:

Is there any way to steer in which AP group a new AP gets pushed?

Or is there any way to avoid new APs to simply connect to the WLC? I would love to have a functionality like other vendors, which allow the AP to "contact" the WLC, but leave it "greyed out": a manual "authorization" is needed to allow the AP to work and be managed from the WLC.

Kind regards,

Flavio.

• Getting Started with Wireless
1 REPLY

Hi,Yes AP Authorization is

Hi,

Yes AP Authorization is very much possible in Cisco also. By default AP will go in to default group as it should work while it connects to the WLC and forcing some one to create AP group for AP functioning is not a cool idea. Once the AP joins , then only you would be able to configure AP group and put the AP in this configured AP group to push selected SSID/RF parameters etc. It just needs one reboot to inherit new AP group settings , So that should be ok.

For Authorization part , you can very well authorize APs based on parameters like mac-address authorization and without passing that AP would not join the WLC even if it is reachable.

Regards

Dhiresh

**Please rate helpful posts**

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.