Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

WLC Design with Primary and Secondary Option

Hi,

I have a design in which we have two companies merging togther.

Each company HQ is connected through MPLS link and Each  has his own Cisco WLC serving there wireless users.

I want to set up the WLC like this

Company 1 - WLC

It will be Primary for Company 1 users

and Secondary for Company 2 users

Company 2 - WLC

It will be Primary for Company 2 users

and Secondary for Company 1 users

Note:  We dont want to change the existing WLAN. We have deifferent SSID's configured in each location

Need you suggestions in this regard.

Regards,

Ahsan B Mir

Everyone's tags (2)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Silver

Technically, all you have to do is define the name and IP address for the respective WLC on each AP as Primary / Secondary........   you really don't even need Mobility in this scenario unless you're expecting people to be roaming between the WLCs.

However, if you're trying to achieve what I think you are,  you'll need to define the WLANs from each site on each WLC.  Just use AP - Groups to differentiate them.

For example,  if WLC 1 has WLAN-A WLAN-B and WLAN-C    and WLC 2 has WLAN-1 WLAN-2 and WLAN-3.

Then put ABC on WLC2, and 123 on WLC1,  then make an AP Group for all APs of WLC 1 to have ABC,  and all APs of WLC 2 to have 123  (and put it on each wlc...).

Probably confusing the way I worded that, but I'm assuming you want each site to serve the original WLANs from that site, so you're going to have to configure wlans if you want the redundancy....

4 REPLIES
Silver

Technically, all you have to do is define the name and IP address for the respective WLC on each AP as Primary / Secondary........   you really don't even need Mobility in this scenario unless you're expecting people to be roaming between the WLCs.

However, if you're trying to achieve what I think you are,  you'll need to define the WLANs from each site on each WLC.  Just use AP - Groups to differentiate them.

For example,  if WLC 1 has WLAN-A WLAN-B and WLAN-C    and WLC 2 has WLAN-1 WLAN-2 and WLAN-3.

Then put ABC on WLC2, and 123 on WLC1,  then make an AP Group for all APs of WLC 1 to have ABC,  and all APs of WLC 2 to have 123  (and put it on each wlc...).

Probably confusing the way I worded that, but I'm assuming you want each site to serve the original WLANs from that site, so you're going to have to configure wlans if you want the redundancy....

Hi Weterry,

Thanks for your suggestion.

I need to know ... how routing of those WLAN's will be taken care.

I got some info from below link:

http://www.cisco.com/application/pdf/paws/105434/wlc_lap_failover.pdf

Regards,

Ahsan Bashir

Silver

What is that you want them to do?

By default, and common practice, is that all traffic will egress from the WLC that AP is associated to.

So if WLC1 fails, and its APs move to WLC2,  then wireless clients will be put in whatever vlan it is you defined on WLC2 for those WLANs....

Basically, all traffic would go through the mpls network to the WLC2 and clients would be using the network...

If you do not want that, I'd suggest redundant controlelrs at the respective sites.

However, you could play around with HREAP.   For example, if all APs on WLC1 were HREAP (but the wlans were NOT set for local switching) then the APs would almost behave no differently than a Local Mode AP (normal).

If the WLANs on WLC2 (for site WLC1) have HREAP Local Switching enabled,  then when your APs failed over to WLC2, they would be Local Switching which would send traffic out of the AP as if it were autonomous....  It is something worth looking in to I suppose.....

It really just depends on what you want to happen.  Just know that typical behavior is for all traffic to flow from AP to WLC and out,   so if you can't handle all your wireless traffic through the MPLS you're going to have to come up with a solution that doesn't send client data that way  (or if you just dont want the clients switching over to vlans that exist at the second company site).

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Is that all the users you'll have????

How many WAPs are we talking about?

With that low numbers, I'd rather set the WAPs as autonomous.

Otherwise, you can think of doing H-REAP.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content