Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

WLC Design!!!

Hi

I have attached a design of my HQ/Remote site.

I have about 100 sites, that have Autonomos APs as of now, but I am deploying a WLC very soon.

APs are  AIR-AP1231G-A-K9 and as far as I know they do not support HREAP; which is a problem because I have printers behind their WGBs they have static IPs. The print server is in HQ they come here anyway.

Converting to LightWeight

I was thinking of bringing all the WIRELESS subnets back to HQ because everything comes back here to citrix farm anyway, but with printers being static I will have to create a VLAN and a SUBNET on the CORE for every sites (100+) and thus resulting in creating about 100 SSIDs in the WLC.

So the HQ/Core would end up having about 100+ subnets/vlans and counting for every site.

I have about 10+ APs per site, so I can't go ahead and buy 3k series .

Attached is my "poor" drawing pic.

Anybody any other idea?

• Getting Started with Wireless
Everyone's tags (2)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: WLC Design!!!

WARNING: HREAP and WGB Are not compatible.

WGB does not support HREAP so be careful when deploying HREAP if you have WGBs on site.

Other H REAP Limitations

• H REAPs do not support WGB.
  • If you have configured a locally switched WLAN, then Access Control Lists (ACLs) do not work and are not supported. On a centrally switched WLAN, ACLs are supported.
  • Any changes to a locally switched WLAN configuration on the Controller cause a temporary loss in connectivity as the new configuration is applied to the H REAP. As such, any clients on these locally switched WLAN get temporarily disconnected. The WLAN is enabled right away and the clients re-associate back.
  • The controller can send multicast packets in the form of unicast or multicast packets to the access point. In hybrid-REAP mode, the access point can receive multicast packets only in unicast form.

Reference: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10315/products_tech_note09186a0080736123.shtml

HTH

Amjad

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"
12 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Cisco has a WLC designed specifically for H-REAP (aka FlexConnect, "market-ology" speaking).   It's called the Flex 7500.

As to replacing your 1230 with something else, it depends on your budget and what protocols do you need.

802.11a/b/g:  1130, 1040, 1240, 1260, 3500, 3600

802.11a/b/g/n: 1040, 1260, 3500, 3600

If you just want plain old 802.11a/b/g then the 1130 (for office use, internal antenna) is very affordable.  The most affordable 802.11n is the 1040.

You can also consider Cisco Certified Refurbished Equipment.

What is your SLOWEST WAN link?

Slowest link T1

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Just to add... Your limitation is the 1230's which does change your whole design. Running local really depends on the link and if that isn't an issue, then that would be your only choice. I would look at migrating site by site to an ap that does support h-reap. I guess I'm looking at how much work it would take to make the change and then when you finally decide to upgrade the APs, the amount of work to change it back to local mode if you wanted to.

Thanks, Scott *****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****

Fella thanks for reply as always

So i will need to create about 100 SSIDs rite? Whats the cheapest AP that supports HREAP

Leo posted the model numbers that you can use. Either the 1040 or 1142 will be your cheapest. You only need one SSID for the printers. You would create ap groups to determine what interface. That printer said will map to. Makes sense?

Thanks, Scott *****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
Hall of Fame Super Gold

WLC Design!!!

Leo posted the model numbers that you can use. Either the 1040 or 1142 will be your cheapest.

The 1130, which supports only 802.11 a/b/g, is still the cheapest.

WLC Design!!!

Is this 1130 AP still on market?

I don't recommend it at all due to too many problems I encountered with this one.

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

I guess I was suggestion an AP that supported 802.11N.... But your right about the 1131, you can find them cheap online:)

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

LoL I feel like driving a Ferrari (WLC+ISE+NCS) in a junge with this cisco APs/WGBs not supporting these things.

Thanks for your help.

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.