Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

WLC LAG Mode and Port Channel

So I was reading the controller best practices and got this:

When you use LAG, the controller relies on the switch for the load balancing decisions on traffic that come from the network. It expects that traffic that belongs to an AP always enters on the same port. Use only ip-src or ip-src ip-dst load balancing options in the switch EtherChannel configuration. Some switch models might use unsupported load balancing mechanisms by default, so it is important to verify.

This is how to verify the EtherChannel load balancing mechanism:

switch#show etherchannel load-balance
EtherChannel Load-Balancing Configuration:
src-dst-ip

EtherChannel Load-Balancing Addresses Used Per-Protocol:
Non-IP: Source XOR Destination MAC address
IPv4: Source XOR Destination IP address
IPv6: Source XOR Destination IP address

This is how to change the switch configuration (IOS):

switch(config)#port-channel load-balance src-dst-ip 

Now Cisco switches by default will do src-mac.  If I make this change obviously this would be a global change.  I don't believe it should cause any performance issues but wanted to get some expert opinions on this.  Switches my controller will be connected to will also have two routers connected as well via Port Channel.

I'm trying to understand the reasoning behind this.

1 REPLY

I've never seen that command

I've never seen that command cause any issues in any deployment I've worked on.

HTH,

Steve

HTH, Steve ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered
Views
Helpful
Replies