Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC LAG to HP switch

justin.cetko
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I would like to connect my WLCs (5508) to HP Procurve switches.

Will I run into any problems if I choose to configure the WLC ports for LAG?

The 7.0 config guide talks about LAG as being a partial implementation of 802.1ad.

Also the guide only talks about connecting to a Catalyst.

I do see that HP also refers to Link aggregation as LAG.

Will they work together? Or will I have to seperate the AP manager interfaces to seperate ports?

Thanks,

Justin

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Justin,

I have been on many cases where the WLC has been connected to an HP switch configured for LAG.  This does work, you just need to make sure the VLAN's are configured properly on the HP trunk. i.e. make sure you set the tagged/untagged/no bits properly.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Justin,

I have been on many cases where the WLC has been connected to an HP switch configured for LAG.  This does work, you just need to make sure the VLAN's are configured properly on the HP trunk. i.e. make sure you set the tagged/untagged/no bits properly.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the quick and accurate assistance!

bobjones2
Level 1
Level 1

I am receiving my new 5508 WLC today with 4 GLC-T connectors, and have an HP ProCurve 3500yl-48G switch. What configuration on the WLC and the 3500 do I need to set up in order to use all 4 ports?

VLAN's:

Wired user VLAN 2

Server VLAN 3

Internal Wireless VLAN 4

Guest Wireless VLAN 12

WIreless Management VLAN 40

Thanks,

on the HP, you need to do a Trunk, then set all the VLANS that will exist on the WLC to be tagged.

On the WLC, enable LAG, and tag all interfaces.  For the AP, it's a standard access port.  So long as the VLAN the AP is on can route to the WLC, it should join.

HTH,
Steve

HTH,
Steve

Does it make sense to put the WLC and AP's in VLAN 40? Or should they be in separate VLANs? From what I have read the AP's should not be in the Wired or Wireless user VLAN's.

AP's can be in the same VLAN as the WLC with no issues.  But don't put them in the same VLAN as any wireless client.

Per best practices, it's only recommmended to have 60-80 AP in a singular VLAN.

HTH,
Steve

HTH,
Steve

can you show an example of your HP switch configuratoin.  It states that the Cisco 5508 does not support LACP.  Can the HP switch be configured for an ether-channel without LACP?  Also, on a Cisco switch configuration you must configure src-dst-ip for load balancing on the ether-channel.  Can you share you HP side of the configuratoin?  THanks

can you show an example of your HP switch configuratoin.  It states that the Cisco 5508 does not support LACP.  Can the HP switch be configured for an ether-channel without LACP?  Also, on a Cisco switch configuration you must configure src-dst-ip for load balancing on the ether-channel.  Can you share you HP side of the configuratoin?  THanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card