cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC Layer 3 failover

tkhan
Level 1
Level 1

I understand how WLCs can be configured for failover when all WLCs, primary, secondary and tertiary are on the same subnet but can this be done with WLCs on different subnets? I have experimented with this in my lab and failover works but APs will not failback unless they are rebooted or the link to the backup is torn down. In the remote offices the WLC and APs exist on the same subnet.

So basically I would have local controllers in my remote office and a larger one at my Data Centre to handle the local controller outages. Can this be done seamlessly?

Thanks,

...Tyron

7 Replies 7

Benjamin Solero
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

As long as network latency between the remote APs and Data Center controller is minimal AND all of the controllers are configured in the same mobility group AND AP Fallback is enabled on the controllers, I don't see why this should not work. So each AP would have its local controller configured as the "primary" controller and the data center controller would be "secondary." Then with "AP Fallback" enabled, I'd think your AP would revert to the "primary" controller when available.

I haven't really tested, but theoretically this should be the case. Maybe others have practical experience with this. Feel free to post your lab controller configs for review.

-Ben

Hi Ben,

I have verified the same mobility group, AP Fallback is on by default, my lab has a directly connected subnet (VLAN) between the controllers. All of the WLC documentation I have read points to failover only working with WLCs configured to be on the same subnet(VLAN). This would be a great feature, to have the redundancy over different subnets. The mobility is not so important since I don't expect seemless roaming to be required between my remote offices and my data centre (hehehe). Maybe I should bug my SE for this feature?

...Tyron

Hi Tyron,

Can you post your controller configs (show run-config)? I just want to make sure I'm not missing something.

If it's not supported, then definitely request a PERs from your SE or at least find out if one already exists.

Thanks,

Ben

Here are my configs:

Hi Tyron,

Thanks for posting. I see the problem -- You have to manually define each controller as a member of the other controller's mobility group. Just add the mac and ip address of each controller to the static mobility group and it should work. The rest of your config looks fine.

Here's what you have:

us-tpawlc001

Default Mobility Domain.......................... ESC-LAB

Mobility Group members configured................ 1

Switches configured in the Mobility Group

MAC Address IP Address Group Name

00:0b:85:43:5e:00 10.9.24.2

us-tpawlc002

Mobility Configuration

Domain.......................... ESC-LAB

Mobility Group members configured................ 1

Switches configured in the Mobility Group

MAC Address IP Address Group Name

00:19:aa:71:c1:e0 10.9.28.2

Here's what you need to do (via GUI)on each controller:

1. Click on "Controller"

2. Click on "Mobility Groups" (on left hand side, under Mobility Management heading).

You'll see your local controller defined in the group.

3. Click on the "New..." button (upper right hand side).

4. Add the Management IP Address and MAC Address of the other controller in the appropriate field.

5. It should auto-populate, but make sure the "Group Name" field is populated with ESC-LAB (in your case).

6. Hit "Apply"

Once finished, the APs should recieve the "list" of controllers to which they can register, which includes the Mobility Group members. Then the AP should be able to failover to the secondary controller based upon the System Name (which you've correctly defined).

It should work and, if so, then save your configuration. If it doesn't, let me know.

Regards,

Ben

Hi Ben,

Your solution is dead on. I reconfigured both controllers and tested the failover and failback. Works like a champ. Thanks again to you and this very informative forum!

...Tyron

Hey Ben,

I came across one more issue. I read that only 24 WLCs can exist in a single mobility group. Since my scenario consists of approximately 80 remote sites and 1 backup site, is the 24 WLC limitation going away anytime soon since I will need a MAC entry in my backup WLC for each remote site?

...Tyron

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: