cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC Mobility Group Confusion

patrickg
Level 1
Level 1

Can some please clarify how Mobility groups work and when to use them. I have 2 data centers, each with a WLC, for centralized control. I just want to provide simple redundancy.

When should I use an Anchor group.

Thanks for your help.

3 Replies 3

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

To make it simple, any wlc's that will be a primary, secondary or tertiary WLC for lap's will need to be placed in the same mobility group. Now if you have a guest anchor controller for guest, then that will need to be added in the same mobility group. Bottom line, when users roam from AP to AP from WLC to another even getting tunneled (anchor) the WLC's need to be aware of the roaming and that is what mobility group does.

Anchor is if you want to tunnel users to a specific controller like in a guest wireless situation when the WLC is located in the DMZ. There are other reasons, but this is most likely why.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Berbee,

That helps a lot. What about subnet planning if the controllers are in different datacenters. I thought the virtual IP address on the WLC's had to be the same. How does that work?

Thx again...Patrick

Patrick,

Yes the Virtual Ip has to be the same on all controllers that are part of a mobility group. Since this is a communication between the wlc's, it is a tunnel that is formed and is forwarded and received through the management interface of the wlc's. So if you are allowing all traffic between the wlc's you should be fine. it is ports 16666 & 16667.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card