Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WLC set AP to static but AP always requests dynamic

I set my 5508 wlc to provide static IP for my first AP but the wlc always sends an ip from our dhcp server.

What parameter do I need to set in order to make sure that the static IP is issued?        

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

AP's fall back to DHCP if they can't reach the WLC via a static IP.

IMHO AP that are attaching to a WLC should be DHCP, as the mgmt is coming from the WLC.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH, Steve ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered
VIP Purple

Agree  with Stephan,

If the AP loses connectivity to the WLC it will directly try to use the DHCP ip address instead of the statically configured IP address. I think there is some heartbeat loss and when that happen the AP directly falls back to use the static.

usually there is a number of heartbeat loss before declaring the AP as disassociated.

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: WLC set AP to static but AP always requests dynamic

John,

I have implemented many lightweight access points with static address with no issues. You have to understand the ap join. Even if you have a static address, if the AP can't join the WLC it will then revert to DHCP. This is in case you connect the AP to a different Vlan for example. Be carefully also, because if the AP is in a Vlan that can't reach the WLC, the AP will keep requesting a DHCP address and the DHCP server will mark the address as bad and that can eat up your DHCP scope. Best bet is to use MAC address reservations so that the AP will be assigned the same address all the time.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
22 REPLIES

AP's fall back to DHCP if they can't reach the WLC via a static IP.

IMHO AP that are attaching to a WLC should be DHCP, as the mgmt is coming from the WLC.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH, Steve ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Steve

This was helpful becaus eit made me think what was really happening and what was really happening is I did not have the switch port set up correctly to reflect the proper vlan.

But this leads me to another question.

Are you saying that all IPs that I would wish to load in the future must come from the WLC? I plan to turn all our

autonomous units into lightweight and use the same mgt IP they currently have.

Are there any watchouts with this plan?

John,

I have implemented many lightweight access points with static address with no issues. You have to understand the ap join. Even if you have a static address, if the AP can't join the WLC it will then revert to DHCP. This is in case you connect the AP to a different Vlan for example. Be carefully also, because if the AP is in a Vlan that can't reach the WLC, the AP will keep requesting a DHCP address and the DHCP server will mark the address as bad and that can eat up your DHCP scope. Best bet is to use MAC address reservations so that the AP will be assigned the same address all the time.

-Scott

Scott

The mgt ip address for AP is resolved but now I am unable to get an ip for client.

This is total first time effort with only one AP connected to the 5508, one vlan 57 for AP and clients but nothing. I get this from debug dhcp

eb 28 14:46:15.097: 60:67:20:b1:9b:2e DHCP received op BOOTREQUEST (1) (len 335, port 13, encap 0xec00)

*Feb 28 14:46:15.097: 60:67:20:b1:9b:2e DHCP dropping packet (no mscb) found - (giaddr 0.0.0.0, pktInfo->srcPort 68, op: 'BOOTREQUEST')

VIP Purple

Agree  with Stephan,

If the AP loses connectivity to the WLC it will directly try to use the DHCP ip address instead of the statically configured IP address. I think there is some heartbeat loss and when that happen the AP directly falls back to use the static.

usually there is a number of heartbeat loss before declaring the AP as disassociated.

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

To all

Thanks for your assistance.

I was able to get the WLC to work after discovering that the WLC had to be registered to the Radius server.

I don't recall ever reading that in the config docs. I found this requirement elsewhere.

VIP Purple

Glad that finally you resolved the issue.

Thanks for rating

Regards

The WLC doesn't have to be registered to the radius server unless you are doing 802.1x for the clients. If you have an open SSID, WEP, or pre-shared keys, radius isn't involved at all.

-Scott

Scott

After posting my elation that the system was working. for reasons unknown at this time, it crashed and it no longer recognizes my sign on and password, yes I saved config many times. And I cannot even access at the console.

Any suggestions?

What does the lights show on the unit?  I would console into the unit and power cycle it and look to see what the console shows.  Capture this information and if the WLC doesn't fully boot up, open a TAC case.  Hopefully the WLC didn't die on you.

Thanks,

Scott

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****

-Scott

The lights look perfectly normal.

I rebooted while conencted to console as you suggested and the unit is sending out what appears to be the same information repeatedly

*Mar 05 09:44:59.101: sshpmGetIssuerHandles: C=US, ST=California, L=San Jose, O=Cisco Systems, CN=C1140-30e4db95218b, MAILTO=support@cisco.com

*Mar 05 09:44:59.101: sshpmGetIssuerHandles:   O=Cisco Systems, CN=Cisco Manufacturing CA

*Mar 05 09:44:59.101: sshpmGetIssuerHandles: Mac Address in subject is 30:e4:db:95:21:8b

*Mar 05 09:44:59.101: sshpmGetIssuerHandles: Cert Name in subject is C1140-30e4db95218b

*Mar 05 09:44:59.101: sshpmGetIssuerHandles: Cert is issued by Cisco Systems.

*Mar 05 09:44:59.101: sshpmGetCID: called to evaluate

*Mar 05 09:44:59.101: sshpmGetCID: comparing to row 0, CA cert >bsnOldDefaultCaCert<

*Mar 05 09:44:59.101: sshpmGetCID: comparing to row 1, CA cert >bsnDefaultRootCaCert<

Unfortunately we have no smartnet for this unit. It has been sitting in storage for about 20 month and I deciced to see if I can make it work. It worked for about 2 hours!

This is an AP not a WLC correct?

-Scott

Scott

The device with the problem is the 5508.

Post the full output and make sure you reboot the WLC if that's the issue.

-Scott

Scott

I rebooted the 5508 earlier and got this capture that is attached.

I would just open a TAC case... the other thing you can try is to boot the WLC and hit esc to break out of the boot and switch to a different image and see if that works.

Thanks,

Scott

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****

-Scott

SCott

Looks like the backup image is same as primary, So I guess I try the clear config

============================================================
Boot Loader Menu
============================================================

1. Run primary image (6.0.199.4)
2. Run backup image (6.0.199.4) - Active
3. Change active boot image
4. Clear configuration
5. Format FLASH Drive
6. Manually update images

Sounds good... Just didn't know if it was in production or not... clear it and stay consoled into the box and go through the startup wizard.

Thanks,

Scott

-Scott

Scott

I am in the conscole port and it is asking for user and password but it will not accept the one I created when I first configed it.

I read in another stream in which you particpated that there is no default login and password.

so you are saying reboot and while conencted to console hit esc key?

Yes

Thanks,

Scott

-Scott

The service-port interface controls communications through and is  statically mapped by the system to the service port. The service port  can obtain an IP address using DHCP, or it can be assigned a static IP  address, but a default gateway cannot be assigned to the service-port  interface. Static routes can be defined through the controller for  remote network access to the service port.

Issue a show ver in the AP. If it's lightweight then try to erase a few files and clear the nvram. If it's autonomous, you need to convert it.

debug capwap console cli
erase /all nvram

Example:

Entered the username and password
debug capwap console cli
erase /all nvram:
[confirm]
undebug all
reload
[confirm]

Hold reset for over 30 seconds to get to ROMMON

ap:delete flash:private-config